[MCR] Selkirk Mountains - West of Rogers Pass Mar.21/15

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Mar 22 02:09:24 EDT 2015

Here are some observations from the backcountry west of Rogers pass (Albert
Icefields).

I arrived today to 30+cms of recent storm snow - plus winds ;-) - we
received another 15cmsof lower density snow during the day before things
tapered off to flurries in the late afternoon.

While the group was doing their rescue training with the other Guide  - a
team of us investigated the terrain below 2000m.  We worked a ridge feature
to a common ski cut location. I did one jump and the slope cracked below my
skis but did not release.

It was the exception, as every other slope over 35 degrees along the North
facing ridge, released 30-60cms deep on the Mar.1 crust /facet interface to
size 2-2.5.

Hmm that makes the decision making easy doesn't it!

We still managed to find some mellow and fluffy skiing above 2100m.  but we
did our best to avoid the call of the "White Siren" !

Scott Davis

ACMG /IFMGA Mountain Guide