[MCR] Rockies - Surprise Pass - March 28th

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat Mar 28 19:34:27 EDT 2015

Skied Surprise Pass today in excellent conditions with one other person.

Approach
At the saddleback trailhead there was 1cm of wet snow.
At 2100m there was 10cms of new moist snow over a 3cm melt-freeze crust which was partially supportive.
At 2300m there was 15cm of cold snow over a 3-5cm partially supportive melt freeze crust. At times we would punch through to the wet snow below to about 30cm maximum.
The gusting strong westerly winds started pressing the surface snow but there were no signs of slab formation during our morning approach in the Sheol Valley. The new snow was bonding well to the crust below.
We bootpacked up the gully towards the pass with relative ease. The melt-freeze crust was again only partially supportive and some of the time we would be up to our knees kicking in steps.
We did not need to use ski crampons, boot crampons or ice axes.
Travel all the way to Surprise Pass fast and easy.

Between the cloud we saw some but mostly heard many loose snow avalanches (to sz 1.5) rolling off the steep unskiable faces of Mt. Haddo which made for a ominous approach in the low visibility.

Descent
A 15cm soft slab had formed in the top 15 meters of the north facing bowl but it did not present a hazard to our group.
Until 2100m we skied in 25cm of low density cold snow over a supportive melt-freeze crust.
From 2100m to 1900m, 15cm of moist snow sits on a supportive melt-freeze crust.
Ski quality was excellent until 1900 meters at which elevation the snowpack becomes instintaniously isothermal and unsupportive and will swallow your skis or board. It goes without saying that the last 100m or so to the summer trail were the most trying of our outing.

We took the hiking trail out as the lake looks like a gamble. We were out by 1pm and temperatures were rising and the sun was starting to show itself.

Philippe Gautier
ACMG Ski Guide
Currently in Alberta
E phil at nevexp.com