[MCR] Rogers Pass - Asulkan

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri May 15 18:02:26 EDT 2015

A weak freeze overnight last night due to cloud cover resulted in lots of unpredictable post holing from knee to thigh deep on the Jupiter Traverse this morning.

It was possible to skin all the way from the old railway line (5 mins from the car) on the summer trail, with only a few very short sections of dirt, which I didn’t bother taking my skis off for in either direction.

There was a recent (past couple of days) size 2 slab avalanche failing on a steep rock slab on The Dome running down over the large convex glacial roll climbers left of The Cleaver, but no other recent slab avalanche activity was observed today. Numerous loose wet avalanches triggered by solar and daytime warming up to size 1.5 were observed today.

With a clear night and a good freeze conditions will be excellent again, although the ski out won’t last much longer with the warm temperatures.

Get out there while the access is still easy!

Alex Geary
ACMG Ski Guide and Apprentice Alpine Guide