[MCR] Columbia Icefields Conditions

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sat May 30 17:18:37 EDT 2015

Just back this afternoon from a May 24 to 30 trip in and around the Columbia Icefields. We experienced generally unsettled weather, quite a bit of rain thru the period and limited overnight recovery. Travel anywhere with tree cover was post holing and unpleasant. Despite the limited freeze travel on the glaciers was “not too bad” where ever the snow cover exceeded a meter; below a meter and there was often crotch deep post holes. Many sags are becoming visible over crevasses. Most notable conditions wise was a slab avalanche cycle beginning on the 26th and continuing sporadically as of this morning. Most releases were in unglaciated terrain on easterly aspects; about 2500 to 2700m elevation, often running to ground and up to size three in size. Accompanying the slabs was on going loose wet avalanches generally in the size 1 to 2 range usually stopping high on the slopes.  With the ongoing unsettled weather and potential for rain we avoided being underneath any slopes capable of producing avalanches due to the unusual nature of the big slab releases. First mosquito hatch last night and burly ticks in the Icefields campground....at least June will be here soon!

Play safe...

James Blench IFMGA/UIAGM