[MCR] Kananaskis - Black Prince and Highwood Pass

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Nov 20 02:21:53 EST 2015

Hi MCR Subscribers,

On Tuesday I skied with friends during the storm in the vicinity of Black Prince. We skied easterly slopes treeline and below. We observed 10-20cms of new storm snow. On aspects below 30 degrees, the storm snow was well bonded. On aspects greater than 30 degrees, we saw cracking and one propagation 50m into 40 degree terrain. This was below treeline in a 10cm slab.

Today we skied north and south aspects in the vicinity of Highwood Pass at treeline and below. Below treeline the snowpack averaged 70cm. At treeline, it was between 10-40cm. The storm snow appeared well bonded to the midpack although two independent compression tests produced moderate resistant planar results 40cm down. We also observed sluffing of the top 10cm of storm snow in steeper terrain. There was plenty of evidence of wind transport particularly on the scoured easterly aspects. Temperatures hovered around -10C throughout the day.

Brent Peters
Alpine Guide
Apprentice Ski Guide
PeakStratagem.com