[MCR] Rockies: Bow Summit area

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Oct 15 23:33:51 EDT 2015

I did a little scramble up a south facing ridge in the Bow Summit area today. Although there is some snow down to treeline there were no real accumulations below 2900 m. Mostly just a few cm with deeper bits between the talus boulders. At about 2900 m there were a few pockets in lee areas that were more widespread and about mid-calf deep. The snow has had some heat applied to it and is fairly dense and supportive but there wasn’t a crust. My high point was 3000 m.

I saw debris from a healthy size 1.5 loose snow avalanche that had run down a very steep gully on a rocky SE face.

The north aspects were snowier but still lots of rocks showing through.

Mark Klassen
ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide