[MCR] Rockies, Columbia Icefields

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Oct 18 17:00:57 EDT 2015

I spent yesterday and today, October 17, 18, doing some crevasse rescue and
glacier travel instruction at the toe of the Athabasca Glacier and on the
North Glacier of Mt Athabasca.

Our traverse below the nunatak on the north glacier of Mt Athabasca showed
a combination of supportive crusts, and wind pillows up to 50 cms deep. On
Saturday, Oct 17, we watched a pair of climbers cross the Ramp and return.
Don't know if they made the top or not.

There are a couple of good millwells close to the terminus of the Athabasca
glacier on it's north side (draining the major proglacial creek there). Fun
lower in, and climb back out, ice climbing.

Felt like spring up there last night and this morning, beautiful.

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures.