[MCR] Mt Huber Lake Ohara

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Thu Sep 3 13:27:45 EDT 2015

I climbed the Huber ledges to the toe of the Huber glacier with a couple of
hearty guests Sept 2nd.  It was heavy weather day with plenty of rain, snow
and wind.  The Huber ledges have a blanket of 20-45cm of new snow and ice
with some wind pockets up to 60cm.  I would suspect there would be up to a
meter of drifting in areas on the glacier above.  The freezing level of
yesterdays snow was below treeline (see pictures).

We did not see any avalanche activity or cracking in the new snow but I
would be concerned about the potential for avalanche hazard with the amount
of wind loading we saw up high.  The sun is intense at this time of year so
take particular caution for rapidly changing conditions with rock fall and
avalanche hazard when the sun comes out.

Happy adventuring

Kirsten

Kirsten Knechtel
kirsten.knechtel at gmail.com