[MCR] Rockies - Castle Area - Sept. 11 & 12, 2015

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Sun Sep 13 01:11:24 EDT 2015

   I just returned from spending two days in the Castle area. On September
11th I hiked up to the summit of Loaf Mountain via the northern drainage
mentioned in Nugara's scrambling book.  There is still a significant amount
of water flowing in the South Drywood Creek, but I was able to rock hop
across just above the first small set of falls. Ascending on either side of
the drainage works just fine, and there is enough water flowing down this
drainage to refill you water bottle as well. There is a small amount of low
angled snow on the northern summit ridge just below the top, but much of it
can be easily bypassed to the right.

   Rather than return the way I came I descended the gentle southwest ridge
to a well maintained trail at the saddle at GR094553. This cutline drops
down through a larch grove and intersects the Bovin Lake ATV trail about an
easy 5 minute walk east of the lake. The primitive campsite at Bovin Lake
is starting to accumulate some trash, but the green throne is in good order.

   On September 12th I spent some time exploring the Victoria Ridge /
Pincher Creek drainage environs. Much like I observed on Loaf Mountain the
previous day, there is a small amount of snow on the shaded and leeward
aspects, but not enough to hinder travel. Although I did find some water
draining out of the cirque southwest of Victoria Peak, as soon as you climb
above Pincher Creek the area is quite dry, so pack sufficient water.

  Finally, I made a quick jaunt up the Carbondale Lookout in the evening.
While the road leading to the lookout presents no challenges and is
somewhat tedious, the view from the lookout presents you with a grand view
of the Castle to the south and the remnants of the Lost Creek Fire to the
North. I believe it's one of the finer views in the park.

   Keep in mind all gates to the gas access roads are now closed and locked
so you may want to bring a bike to save yourself some time walking the
roads.

Cheers,

Nathan Dahl

HG