[MCR] Mt. Fay - North Face

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Sep 29 09:01:45 EDT 2015

Two of us from Parks Canada Visitor Safety climbed the Berle/Kallen route
on the North Face of Mt. Fay yesterday (Sept 28), then descended the West
Ridge and the Perron Route back to Moraine Lake.  Conditions for the ascent
up the face were excellent, while the descent was a bit tedious.

 With a temperature of -4 on the glacier, the snow ranged from perfect neve
to the occasional drift up to 30 cm deep. Walking across the glacier was
easy travel but we were a bit wary of thinly bridged crevasses. Crossing
the bergshrund was easy, and then the climb was ankle deep steps almost the
whole way, drilling screws into the glacier on the right or digging down 30
cm to find ice screws. We wondered if we might encounter wind slabs, but
didn't. There is a good sized fresh cornice overhead, and climbing past it
to the left was easy. The climb was in perfect shape.

 The descent down the west ridge was fine, but slow as there is 20-30 cm of
snow covering everything and so it was crampons and slow movement the whole
way. When descending the final snow slope back onto the glacier, it was
easy to cross the bergshrund.

 The Perron Route had verglass all over it, and we continued to wear our
crampons until about half way down. Even the very bottom section has some
sketchy verglass, so we really had to move slowly in order to not grease
off.

 Perfect September alpine conditions.

 Grant Statham, Brian Webster
 Parks Canada