[MCR] Rogers Pass Feb.23/2016 Mt. Green - Ross Peak slide path

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Tue Feb 23 23:38:12 EST 2016

Hi Gang,

Spent the day with my good friend Giacomo Fano skiing up and back down the
North facing Ross Pk. slidepath off of Mt. Green.

The approach through the hemlock of the designated route was in its usual
crusty skittery condition with just enough uphill to require the skins and
just enough downhill to wish you didn't have them on ;-) !

Once in the open terrain we found 10-15cms of new snow over a previous
temperature crust that was supportive, yet soft enough to edge when
tracksetting in the steep lower part of the path. This was only present up
to the 1200m. elevation after which things softened right up allowing for
30-40cms ski penetration in soft (Fist) snow that was overlying a previous
windslab that seemed well settled and bonded.

We saw no recent avalanche activity and what had happened previously was
well covered with new snow - there were a few old cornice chunks that had
fallen off the summit ridge and tumbled down the slope a bit but that was
pretty much it.

Other than that we had great ski conditions for an amazing 1600m. vertical
run to the valley floor.

>From the highway at the end of the day we could see a fair bit of solar
activity that had occurred during the day up to size 2 (see blurry photo of
Avalanche crest)

Cheers,

Scott Davis