[MCR] Rockies- Kootenay NP

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Fri Jan 8 13:16:01 EST 2016

Yesterday I skied in Kootenay National Park on East and South East aspects between 1500-2100m.
The wind was moderate out of the NE, -5 and snowing S-1,HST 5-10 cm drifting into pockets of about 20 cm.
On our up track we observed newly formed wind slab. They were showing signs of propagating with shooting cracks.
The upper 5 cms were quite reactive but not picking up speed or volume.
At about 2100M we transitioned to a SE aspect, still on the uptrack aspect observing a suncrust under the new HST.
Immediately a slab cracked above me and pulled out a sz 1-1.5 which didn't have enough power to knock me down but certainly caught my attention.

Be wary of windslab sitting on suncrust as it is likely touchy.

Thomas Grandi
ACMG ASG

Canmore’s boutique hotel⎪629 10th Street⎪Canmore AB
 		1.403.609.0482 ⎪  paintboxlodge.com <http://paintboxlodge.com/>

Like us on Facebook  <http://www.facebook.com/paintboxlodge>
Follow us on Twitter <http://twitter.com/#!/paintboxlodge>