[MCR] Rockies: Yoho

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Jan 13 20:13:27 EST 2016

Today we skied a north aspect between 2250 m and 1700 m, in Yoho Park. There was 10-15 cm of recent snow lying atop about 120 cm of faceted snow. There were no distinct layers in the snowpack here, and we didn’t see any signs of recent wind effect even on an exposed ridge at treeline. Even though the snowpack is faceted it still carries a skier well.

We skied a long, open 40 degree slope and triggered two size 1 loose/dry avalanches, so we had to make sure we managed our sluffs on the way down. The ski quality was excellent, without another track in sight!

Mark Klassen
ACMG-IFMGA Mountain Guide
Alpinism | » Lake Louise Ski Mountaineering Weekend <http://alpinism.com/lake-louise-ski-mountaineering-weekend/>