[MCR] Rockies, Little Crowfoot Peak and Wapta Bow Hut to Sherbrooke Lake

Public Mountain Conditions Report mcr at informalex.org
Wed Mar 23 16:35:38 EDT 2016

I guided four guests up Little Crowfoot Peak (Summits & Icefields Map) on
March 18th. Shockingly cold air temperatures in the parking lot, -20 C. We
ascended the Ferris Glacier on the north side of the peak and it skied very
nicely on the way down.

My fellow guide, Darcy Chilton, and I guided ten guests from Bow Hut across
the Wapta to exit Shebrooke Lake March 19-22.

Bow Lake was well frozen mid morning of March 19th and the air temperature
was much more pleasant.

Good coverage on the traverse to the Balfour Hut on March 20th with a 10
metre boot pack into the St Nic/Olive col. The Diableret Glacier skied
incredibly well  that afternoon.

We had a white and windy day to cross Balfour High Col on March 21st. We
chose to take the low route into the Nunatak and Hourglass. I backed out of
the first slope we tried out of Balfour Col due to windslab concern in the
blowing snow, I then set a track up a shallower, and smaller, chute. Once
onto the glacier the visibility cheered up a bit and we found the large
transverse crevasses topping the Hourglass to be well covered (these
crevasses often push one uncomfortably close to Mt Balfour and its tears of
seracs). With better visibility I think it would be possible, at present,
to cross these slots even further towards the Nunatak and farther away from
Mt Balfour.

>From Balfour High Col we travelled on an eastsoutheastish bearing roped up
with skins on until we could see Lilliput Mtn., we then unroped and
deskinned and skied slowly when visibility allowed, and stopped and waited
when it didn't. One large crevasse was come upon and traversed around.

March 22nd was a beautiful clear day and our ski out was good with splendid
snow conditions and a well frozen Sherbrooke Lake. Skiing by the large slab
avalanche out of the west side of Paget Peak (picture attached) got our
attention and a "holy moly!" out of me.

My sympathies go out to my fellow guide, Darcy, who is skiing back into Bow
Hut as I type to repeat the trip. May our hamster exit his wheel with more
current information in four days time.

Yamnuska Mountain Adventures
www.yamnuska.com