New Bridge in Bluefield

Thu Dec 14 10:58:15 EST 2023

On Thu, Dec 14, 2023 at 10:21 AM Tim wrote:

> If the Heartland Corridor installation at Prichard couldn't make it, why
> would the Bluefield area need an intermodal facility?

Prichard isn't exactly on any beaten path. That yard in Bluefield is
somewhat close to I-77 via U.S. 460 (once traffic gets out to the
four-lane). Perhaps West Virginia is trying to beat Virginia in
construction of an inland port facility. There is a study to locate a port,
like the one near Front Royal, somewhere in Southwest Virginia to feed the
port at Norfolk. It looks like the bridge would provide better access to
the north side of the main line tracks where there is space for tracks and
a lift facility.

Bruce in Blacksburg