Dwight Coaling Station

Sat Dec 16 23:23:30 EST 2023

Gordon -
How long did the Dwight facility operate?  *it's my understanding that when
they  when they           put on 77 and 78 that they had to put a fresh
engine on at Crewe for the return trip because there was no main line
coaling station east of Roanoke and one engine couldn't make it from
Roanoke to Petersburg and back without taking coal comewnere; taking the
engine off at Cterwe to coal it would take too much time, so they just put
a fresh engine on to go back to Roanoke.*
That was still a remarkable run for coal burning steam locomotives - 900
miles from Portsmouth to Petersburg and back using just four locomotives,
and they could have done it with three if they could have coaled east of
Roanoke.
- Ed King