Rock Depot (?) - Photo of the Grand Union Terminal Station

Sat Dec 23 14:31:53 EST 2023

I believe it is Rock, West Virginia on the Bluestone and Widemouth Branch. Even though a shelter shed is shown on Jim Blackstock’s list.

It was an actual station, here is one drawing showing it:

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=196174

and this one showing the location and grounds for the station

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=221099

They tend to list it at a 27x41 structure, the Pocahontas Division building sheet No. 9, as excerpted below dated approximately 1920-25, shows a smaller structure.

Which looks more like a shelter shed size to me. Since documentation is scarce, the photo is obviously a standard No. 2 second class combination station, which was first approved in 1895, I believe. The drawing is 1903 which is when the branch was approved for construction.

The 1904 report showed a depot at Rock was constructed. But that is an awfully short time for a depot to exist to be down in size that quickly. Perhaps an accident took the depot out and it was reconstructed with the remains? Certainly no record I can find.

Merry Christmas to all!

Best
Ken Miller