[om-list] Re: GPL vs. LGPL

Tom and other Packers TomP at Burgoyne.Com
Thu Oct 4 16:02:03 EDT 2001

Mark

    Regarding licensing for MTShell, I will have to read up a little more
and then talk to you in person about licensing.  I'll let you know when I'm
ready, if you're willing and able to have another meeting.

    Anyone else who is interested in the MTShell project (Ben Oman) can
join.

tomp

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Butler" <butlerm at middle.net>
To: "Tom and other Packers" <TomP at burgoyne.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 1:24 PM
Subject: Re: GPL vs. LGPL

Tom,

 The L in LGPL used to stand for library, but now it stands for
lesser.  It is usually used for libraries, but since every well
written program looks like a collection of semi-independent modules,
it is relevant there as well.  You can GPL the main program file and
LGPL usable modules if you want.

The people who invented these licenses did not write them to restrict
you, but rather to protect you.  If you wrote the code you can do
whatever you want with it, GPL license to others notwithstanding. The
GPL license is designed to keep *others* from using your code in a
proprietary closed source product.

Now, if you want to use outsiders contributions in your project the
LGPL or MPL is more appropriate.  However, if you choose the MPL you
should dual license it under the GPL because otherwise open source
authors will be not be able to link it with prominent GPL libraries
like Qt.

I personally happen to write all my future open source GUI programs
using the Qt library, so dual licensing is a personal requirement for
me to contribute.

 - Mark

--
Mark Butler        ( butlerm at middle.net )