[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 10/14/03

pridecenter-news-admin at pridecenter.org pridecenter-news-admin at pridecenter.org
Mon Oct 13 19:02:30 EDT 2003

- This email was sent by The Pride Center of New
Jersey, Inc.
- 732/846-2232, www.pridecenter.org
- To unsubscribe from this list, please go to page:
then scroll to the bottom and type your email address
next to the "Edit Options" button; if you forgot your
password, first click "Email My Password To Me"
The Pride Center of New Jersey
News & Updates – October 14, 2003

1. BARBIE-Q RE-CAP
2. PCNJ BRUNCH - Nov 9
3. TUESDAY SOCIALS – Oct 14
4. THE MEETING PLACE! – Oct 18
5. OUT OF THE BOX – Oct 18
6. WOMEN'S PEER SUPPORT GROUP – Oct 23
7. NEW! TOGETHER WE CAN – Every Tuesday
8. FRIENDS OF DOROTHY – Oct 31
9. WANTED: MEN'S Coffeehouse Leaders/Volunteers!
10. WANTED: Staff Volunteers!

1. A BARBIE-Q RE-CAP
Thanks to the over 120 of you who came out on a
beautiful Autumn day for The Pride Center’s 2nd Annual
Picnic at the Log Cabin at Rutgers!  It was a day of
food, games, nature and fun!  Special thanks to our
many volunteers and sponsors (ALTERNATIVES, Wachovia
and Travel Registry, Inc).

2. PCNJ Brunch - Sunday, November 9
As a way of recognizing our growing family of
supporters - the hundreds of members, sponsors and
volunteers who help keep our doors open-we host an
Annual Brunch to celebrate our accomplishments of the
past year and say thank you, thank you, thank YOU.
This year's gathering will take place from noon-3pm at
Sophie's Bistro, the elegant French restaurant aside
the Den in Somerset. Invitations will be mailed to our
supporters in October.  Not yet a member?  Well, now's
the time to join -- see our newsletter or contact us
at info at pridecenter.org for membership information.
Tickets: $30 members; $40 non-members.  Seating will
be limited, so an early RSVP is recommended.  To make
reservations, call 732-560-5682 or for further
information contact info at pridecenter.org

3. TUESDAY SOCIALS – Oct 14
Come hang out at The Pride Center 2nd and 4th Tuesdays
from 8 PM to 9:30 PM!  News, gossip, politics,
gardening, TV and whatever else comes up. Delicious
refreshments provided.  Check it out!  Sponsored by
LGM-NB.

4. Out of The Box – Oct 17
Hey Everyone Who Loves People Who Love to Express
Themselves! Clear your calendars!  Out of the Box is
coming THIS FRIDAY (10/17) at 8:00 pm at the PRIDE
CENTER of New Jersey.  Open-Mic for performers of ALL
kinds.  Come share poetry, music, songs, comedy,
drama, dramedy, juggling, mime (yes! mime!), or all of
the above.  OR you can come to listen and be part of
OOTB's loving audience. Admission: $5 (suggested
donation)/$3 for students. Light gnosh and low-octane
beverages provided.  More information:
pandorascooter at aol.com or taxi-boy at juno.comDirections:
732-846-2232   The Pride Center is located at 1048
Livingston Avenue, North Brunswick, NJ (the building
with the PINK awning for the Asbury Locksmith's
store).  Please Come Join Us on Friday Night!

5. THE MEETING PLACE! – Oct 18
Hey Guys!  Come meet and hang out with some other
guys!  The Meeting Place is a new event with a new
committee, new energy and new fun!  The kick-off is
Saturday October 18th at The Pride Center of NJ.  It
will continue on the 3rd Saturday of each month.
Refreshments and Fun!  Additional volunteers are
needed.

6. WOMEN'S PEER SUPPORT GROUP – Oct 23
A Positive, affirming, and empowering environment in
which women share their stories, relate to each other,
and gain insight into a variety of issues to be
explored. Meetings will be on 2nd and 4th Thursdays
from 7:30 pm to 9:00 PM at The Pride Center of NJ.

7. NEW! TOGETHER WE CAN –  Every Tuesday
ALTERNATIVES, Inc. announces Together We Can, a weekly
support group for the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and
Transgender community, to be held at The Pride Center
of New Jersey.   Together We Can will be an open
discussion group for persons dealing with emotional,
mental and addictive disorders.  Issues such as
relationships, HIV/AIDS, sexuality, gender identity,
grief and loss, substance abuse and other health
related issues will be addressed.  Together We Can
will meet every Tuesday evening from 7:00-8:30 PM, at
The Pride Center of
New Jersey. Please call Stephen Phillips at
732-450-2878 or The Pride Center at 732-846-2232 for
additional information.

8. FRIENDS OF DOROTHY NIGHT – Oct 31
What a way to spend Halloween!    It’s the Sing-A-Long
Wizard of Oz at The State Theater in New Brunswick!
With a high-spirited master of ceremonies as your
guide, join Dorothy on her fantastical journey though
the land of Oz as you sing along to some of the
best-known songs in film history.  Dress up as your
favorite character and compete for prizes.  Pride
Night “Friends of Dorothy” reception 9-10 PM at
Crossroads Theater, 7 Livingston Ave.  (Available to
patrons for either the 7 pm or 10 pm show) Tickets are
available from Heidi Ewald via e-mail
hewald at statetheatrenj.org or by phone at 732-247-7200
x 536.   Family showing tickets: $21 incl reception,
$14 without reception.  Adult oriented showing: $25
including reception, $18 without reception.

9. Wanted: Shift Volunteers!
Interested in giving some time back to your community?
The Pride Center needs additional staff volunteers at
our North Brunswick location. Answer phones, greet
visitors, meet new people! A variety of shifts are
available with an emphasis on 7 PM to 10 PM shifts.
Contact Ellen at 732-846-2232

10. AND MORE...
The Pride Center is also looking for a volunteer who
knows basic html to assist us with our website, a
volunteer to assist with publicity and marketing,
event & fundraising volunteers and more!  Other
worthwhile AALU on 4th Thursdays;  Al
Anon - Fridays at 7 PM; Men's Coming Out Group -
Wednesdays at 7:30 PM; Republican Lesbians - First
Mondays at 7:30 PM.