[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 5/1/04

pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org
Fri Apr 30 20:05:01 EDT 2004

The Pride Center of New Jersey
News & Updates – May 1, 2004

1. INTERSEX WORKSHOP - May 6
2. LONGWOOD GARDENS BUS TRIP - May 16
3. DOUBLES TOURNAMENT - May 16
4. HYACINTH AIDS WALK - May 16
5. DOMESTIC PARTNERSHIP SEMINIAR - May 20
6. A NIGHT AT THE RACES - Jun 12
7. OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE
8. JOIN TODAY!
9. GREAT ADVENTURE TICKETS
10. CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
11. GARDEN STATE SOFTBALL LEAGUE
12. HAVURAH EVENTS

1. INTERSEX WORKSHOP - May 6
Spend an evening discussing the intersex movement with
Betsy Driver, co-founder and director of Bodies Like
Ours.  While this evening will be geared towards
creating a support group for intersex people, other
interested people are most welcome to attend.  Bodies
Like Ours and The Pride Center of New Jersey are
interested in filling the support needs of intersex
people in NJ, as well as their friends, and families.
This will be a planning meeting towards reaching that
goal.  We'll also talk about planning the first ever
Intersex Awareness Day to be held October 26, 2004.
Bodies Like Ours is an intersex peer support
organization on the web at
http://www.bodieslikeours.org

2. Tour to Longwood Gardens - May 16
Join The Pride Center on a motorcoach tour to Americas
Ultimate Garden Treasure, Longwood Gardens on May 16,
2004. Includes: Deluxe Lavatory Motorcoach,
Admission & Self Guided Tour at your leisure, Longwood
Garden Map, Longwood Gardens Cafe lunch at your
leisure, tax, service charges, gratuities, bus driver
tip. ONLY $64.  Departs: Front of Ferren Parking Deck
,  New Brunswick  9:00 AM, Returns:   6:00 PM
MINIMUM CHECK-IN 15 MIN. BEFORE DEPARTURE
$25 PER PERSON DEPOSIT ENCLOSED FOR LONGWOOD GARDENS —
5/16/04   Balance Due: APRIL 13, 2004. Make check
payable and mail to:  THE 10% TRAVEL CLUB, PO BOX 55,
EDISON, NJ  08818-0055.  (732) 767-1307
NOTICE: Price based on a minimum of 35 Participants
and subject to cancellation with full refund in event
of insufficient participation or fuel surcharges.

3. DOUBLES TOURNAMENT - May 16
The Central NJ GLBT Tennis Club is sponsoring a
Doubles Tournament on Sunday, May 16, 2004 at the
Green Knolls Tennis Center in Bridgewater, NJ from
9AM-2PM.  For teams with combined NTRP level of
6.5-8.0 (individual NTRP of 3.0-4.0).  Medals awarded.
Cost is only $11per person and includes court time
and matches, balls, and complimentary water and
snacks.  Deadline for entering is May 3.  Limited to
20 teams, so early registration is strongly
encouraged.  For more info and an entry form, please
visit http://www.geocities.com/cnjglbt_tennis or you
can email Bill Hoch at billyhoch at yahoo.com.

4. HYACINTH AIDS WALK - May 16
Hyacinth AIDS Foundation will be holding AIDS WALK NJ
on Sunday, May 16, 2004 at the Woodlawn of the
Eagleton Institute on the Douglass College Campus of
Rutgers University.  We are looking for individuals
who are willing to recruit corporate and social
organization teams to participate in the Walk.  This
year's Walk is more important than ever!  With changes
in funding priorities at the State and Federal levels
and continued rates of new infections, we need your
help so that we can continue to provide the same level
of services to our clients!  If you are interested in
forming a team, please contact Ametra Burton at
732-246-0204.

5. INTERSEX WORKSHOP - May 6
Spend an evening discussing the intersex movement with
Betsy Driver, co-founder and director of Bodies Like
Ours.  While this evening will be geared towards
creating a support group for intersex people, other
interested people are most welcome to attend.  Bodies
Like Ours and The Pride Center of New Jersey are
interested in filling the support needs of intersex
people in NJ, as well as their friends, and families.
This will be a planning meeting towards reaching that
goal.  We'll also talk about planning the first ever
Intersex Awareness Day to be held October 26, 2004.
Bodies Like Ours is an intersex peer support
organization on the web at
http://www.bodieslikeours.org

6. A NIGHT AT THE RACES - June 12
When: Saturday June 12, 2004
Where: Meadowlands Racetrack, East Rutherford, NJ
Ticket prices:  	$45.00 – members
			$50.00 – non-members
The Pride Center of New Jersey is proud to announce a
new and exciting fundraising event for Pride Month
(June) 2004 - A night at the races at the Meadowlands
Racetrack.  Come join old members and new for a
thrilling evening of fun, food and live racing at New
Jersey’s premiere racing venue. We’ll have a barbecue
picnic, soft drinks, beer & wine in our own private
section of the paddock area at the track.  So tell
your friends and family, save the date, and look for
more information on ticket sales on our web site,
www.pridecenter.org.  Afterall, what could be better
than dining outdoors on a warm early summer evening,
drinking draft beer and betting on horses, right down
by the track while you cheer them on. Sounds like a
winner to us, so hope to see you there!!

7. OPPORTUNITIES AVAILABLE
Looking to give back to the community? Meet incredible
people? Put yourself in the center of LGBTI activity
in NJ? Build you people skills?  Consider becoming
part of The Pride Center of NJ Team!  Inquire today
about becoming a Board Member, Board Member or Major
Donor!  Call PCNJ Executive Director Ellen J. Gilio,
Esq at 732-846-2232 or e-mail info at pridecenter.org.
We are currently seeking:
Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
Assistant Office Manager
Library Volunteer
Ad Sales Coordinator

8. Join Today!
If you are thinking about what you can do to help your
community during these exciting times but believe you
don't have much time to spare, consider making a
financial donation to your favorite LGBTIQ non-profit.
Help us continue supporting New Jersey's GLBTIQ
community! Remember that all donations to The Pride
Center of NJ are tax-deductable to the extent allowed
by law. Renew or begin a new membership today! Visit
this website to obtain more information and a
membership form:
http://www.pridecenter.org/getinvolved/signup.shtml

9. GREAT ADVENTURE TICKETS
It's the time of the year AGAIN! New Jersey Rainbow
Alliance of the Deaf is selling tickets.
Theme Park/ Safari (1 day pass)  $26.50 (real price
$48.75 - save $22.25). Theme Park Season Pass  $75.00
(real price $84.79 - save  $9.79). Hurricane Harbor
(1 day pass)  $26.00 (real price $29.99 - save $3.99).
Hurricane Harbor Season Pass  $75.00 (real price
$79.99 - save $4.99). Children under age 3 and under
are admitted free. Parking: $10.00 per car. You can
buy now and use anytime before November 2004. Deaf
Awareness Day at Great Adventure June 12, 2004.
Deadline to buy tickets :  JUNE 6, 2004. Any
questions, contact: plt311 at rcn.com

10. CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Call for Submissions to A Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual,
Transgender, and Questioning/Queer Youth Anthology
Deadline for Submissions: July 30, 2004. We are
looking for previously unpublished, original pieces of
writing and art by LGBTQ/Q youth and allies (under 22
years old), such as:
Short stories, Non-fiction essays, Edited journal
entries, Poems, Humor/Satire/Social Commentaries
Cartoons & Graphic Writing. If you have any questions,
please send an email to jgamble at rci.rutgers.edu.
Thank you! Cheryl Clarke & Jessie Gamble, Co-editors

11. GARDEN STATE SOFTBALL LEAGUE
The Garden State Softball League is NJ's first GLBTI
softball league which is gearing up for the 2005
softball season. Just use this URL:
http://www.chetjasinski.com/TEAMNJ/softball/softball.asp
Filling out the form does not obligate you to play
next year.  What it does, is it gives the softball
committee an idea of where you are, what level you're
at, what position(s) you've played if you've played,
and a few more questions.  Please be sure to confirm
your information via a confirmation e-mail.
This will also give you a look at some of the data.
And there's a new feature added to let you 'tell a
friend' with out having to forward this e-mail. Keep a
watch on the TEAMNJ list.  We hope to have some
softball games during the Pride Picnic this summer so
that some of you can get to know each other!

12. HAVURAH EVENTS
The following are events scheduled for May 2004 by the
NJ Lesbian and Gay Havurah. Information and directions
can always be obtained by dialing 732-650-1010 box 8
or please contact the phone numbers listed beside the
event descriptions below.
12th Anniversary Celebration Will be held at the
Jumping Brook Country Club in Neptune, NJ on Sat., May
22, 2004 at 8PM.  Please join us for this  wonderful
evening!  Send in your RSVP cards as soon as possible.

Sun. 5/2/04 - 11:00 AM. Program Planning Meeting - at
Larry's house in Old Bridge.  Please come join us to
help us plan events for the next 6 months.
Thurs. 5/6/04 - 7:30 pm   Coffee Night at Brewed
Awakening, Metuchen - Please come join us for a time
to schmooze with members and interested guests of
the Havurah. 417 Main St. Metuchen NJ 08840