[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 2/12/04

pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org
Wed Feb 11 22:40:38 EST 2004

The Pride Center of New Jersey
News & Updates – February 12, 2004

1. 7th ANNUAL HERSTORY CONFERENCE - Feb 14
2. Long Yang Club Mahjong Party - Feb 14
3. CJLA EXPRESS DATING - Feb 15
4. OUT OF THE BOX - Feb 20
5. BALLET TROCODERO - Feb 21
6. MEN's PEER SUPPORT GROUP - Feb 23
7. LGMNB - Feb 24
8. SOFTBALL - 2004 SEASON
9. HYACINTH AIDS WALK - May 16
10. GAY BORDENTOWN
11. WANTED: VOLUNTEERS!

1. 7th ANNUAL HERSTORY CONFERENCE - Feb 14
African Asian Latina Lesbians United Proudly Present
the 7th Annual "Herstory" Conference: "Living, Loving
and Embracing our Relationships"on Saturday & Sunday,
February 14 - 15, 2004, Rutgers University, Newark NJ
This two-day conference will provide enlightening
workshops that will address our intellectual,
emotional, and spiritual being. It will focus on the
essence of love within our diverse relationships, life
topics that define and affect our daily lives,
cross-cultural community relationships and issues and
finally activities that will help us further embrace
our loving and sometimes difficult relationships that
we as lesbians of color share together. The days will
include several empowering workshops addressing these
topics of interest and concerns for womyn,
entertainment, arts and so much more.
What better legacy of love to give this Valentine's
Day - whether single or partnered - than the gift of a
nurturing, passionate and self-fulfilling experience
of the "herstory" conference for the "loving womyn" in
you.? visit www.celebratesisterhood.org for
registration form, workshop brochure, host hotel, and
more. Advance Tickets: $75.00 if purchased before
1/31/04 Much at the door…
For more information contact Tiye at 732 679 - 7687 or
e-mail at tyaalu at yahoo.com
Vendor space limited!  Contact Talethea at  856
874-1268 or e-mail BestImprss at aol.com
Volunteers Needed!! Contact Sheila at 973 375 - 5843
or email sbhunt4u at aol.com

2. Long Yang Club Mahjong Party - Feb 14
LYC-NJ is a group for gay/bi Asians, Pacific Islanders
and their friends. Meetings are held on the 2nd
Saturdays of each month. The next event is a
Valentine's Day Mahjong Party at the Pride Center of
NJ on Saturday February 14th at 7:30 PM. Refreshments,
Fun!  Bring you game sets (any game you like). Card
tables are also appreciated.

3. CJLA EXPRESS DATING - Feb 15
Central Jersey Lesbian Alliance is sponsoring it's
first Express Dating Event, it is being held at the
Esce Restaurant in New Hope, located at 18 W Mechanic
St.  We will start at 12 noon, and the cost is $25 per
person.  Advance registration is required, and space
is limited.  Those who are interested can contact CJLA
at http://www.cjla.org/expressdating.htm to register.
This will be a great way to meet other fabulous women
in the Central Jersey and PA areas!  We have attached
a flyer for you to print and post.  Please contact
CJLA at CentralJerseyla at aol.com  for more information.

4. OUT OF THE BOX - Feb 20
Don't forget to mark your calendars for February 20th
and Pedro Serrano will share some stories/comedy.
February's OOTB is a special one, too, because Pandora
Scooter will do some recording from her upcoming CD...
so, be sure to come on out and share your warmth,
expressions and love.

5. BALLET TROCODERO (PRIDE NIGHT)- Feb 21
Pride Night Event: Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte
Carlo.  Saturday, February 21, 2004,  8pm.
Cost is $34 (includes donation to The Pride Center of
New Jersey)
Reception (Artist Meet & Greet likely) to follow
For Tickets Call: 732-247-7200 ext. 589
Description of the show at
http://www.statetheatrenj.org/newtheatre/eventinfo.cfm?eventid=529

6. MEN's PEER SUPPORT GROUP - Feb 23
The Men's Support Group provides participants with
mutual support on a variety of topics selected by the
members. Open to all men and male identified or
gendered individuals in the GBTIQ Community. 2nd and
4th Mondays from 7:30 PM to 9:00 PM.

7. LGMNB - Feb 24
The next get-together of LGMNB will be held on Tuesday
February 24th at 8 PM at The Pride Center. A social
group - talk about current events, gossip, weather,
theater, whatever. Refreshments. Relaxed atmosphere.
AKA the Tuesday Men's Group. All welcome!!

8. SOFTBALL - 2004 SEASON
TEAMNJ is looking for people who are interested in
organizing the Garden State Softball league.  David
Chandler who has done a fantastic job starting the
gears moving in the summer of 2003 will be unable to
organize the softball league for 2004. We are looking
for the people who were part of the softball committee
he formed or would like to be help.  Please contact
TEAMNJ at hotmail.com directly. We invite everyone
interested in playing softball to e-mail and put the
word "softball" in the subject line.

9. HYACINTH AIDS WALK - May 16
Hyacinth AIDS Foundation will be holding AIDS WALK NJ
on Sunday, May 16, 2004 at the Woodlawn of the
Eagleton Institute on the Douglass College Campus of
Rutgers University.  We are looking for individuals
who are willing to recruit corporate and social
organization teams to participate in the Walk.  This
year's Walk is more important than ever!  With changes
in funding priorities at the State and Federal levels
and continued rates of new infections, we need your
help so that we can continue to provide the same level
of services to our clients!  If you are interested in
forming a team, please contact Ametra Burton at
732-246-0204.

10. GAY BORDENTOWN
Bordentown Friends, Lesbians and Gays is a social
gathering of Bordentown gay and lesbian
residents, their partners and those who work in
Bordentown.  In light of new legislation in the state,
we feel it is important to meet, as it may give our
small group a direction and means of reaching out and
growing. More details may be obtained via
Bordentownflag @ hotmail.com. If you do not have a
computer or prefer to contact us through mail, please
use B-Flag, P.O. Box 20, Bordentown, NJ 08505. All
contact information will be kept under the strictest
of confidence.

11. Wanted: Volunteers!
Interested in giving some time back to your community?
The Pride Center needs additional staff volunteers at
our North Brunswick location. Answer phones, greet
visitors, meet new people! A variety of shifts are
available with an emphasis on 7 PM to 10 PM shifts. We
are also seeking volunteers to help develop and run
socail activities at The Center.
Contact Ellen at 732-846-2232