[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 4/28/05

pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org
Wed Apr 27 23:22:25 EDT 2005

The Pride Center of New Jersey
News & Updates - April 28, 2005

See www.pridecenter.org for lot's more group and
activity information!

1. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE - May 7
2. LONG YANG CLUB - May 7
3. EQUALITY FORUM
4. TENNIS CLUB
5. NEWARK PRIDE ALLIANCE - May 11
6. OLDIES DANCE - June 11
7. GREAT ADVENTURE TICKETS

1. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE - May 7
The Women's Coffee House presents Caren Leonard with
"Songs by some of the great women songwriters of our
time!".
Saturday, May 7th at 7 PM.
Light refreshments, games, free give-aways, 50/50 and
of course coffee!
Last Coffee House until October!

2. LONG YANG CLUB - May 7
LYC will be hosting a Potluck Dinner Party in Ewing,
NJ at 7 PM.  Please e-mail newjersey at longyangclub.org
for directions!
Next event: Annual Liberty State Park Picnic in Jersey
City.  Saturday June 11th - ALL DAY!  Bring something
to eat and share or pay $10.

3. Equality Forum
Equality Forum is the National Celebration of the 40th
Anniversary of the GLBT Civil Rights Movement and
takes place in Philadelphia, PA from April 25 through
May 1, 2005. As part of the week’s events, each state
is sponsoring a State Reception. The NJLGC is hosting
the New Jersey delegation, with many of the statewide
groups attending. In addition, Governor Richard Codey
will be serving as the honorary chair. So please join
us at the NJ State reception on: Saturday April 30th
from 5-6 pm at Sisters, 1320 Chancellor Street,
Philadelphia, Pa. For more information check out the
web site:
http://www.equalityforum.com/2005/state.cfm?StateID=NJ.

4. TENNIS CLUB - May 15
The Central NJ GLBT Tennis Club will host its 2nd
Annual Spring Doubles Tournament on Sunday, May 15
from 9AM-2PM at the Green Knoll Tennis Center in
Bridgewater, NJ.  Cost is $11 per person.   Format is
round robin.  There will be 3 draws/levels with max 6
teams per draw.  Deadline for entry is May 2.  Draws
can fill up quickly, so please register early!  Info
and entry forms can be obtained at our website
www.geocities.com/cnjglbt_tennis (just click on the
"2nd Annual Spring 2005 Tournament Information" link).
Hope to see you there!

5. NEWARK PRIDE ALLIANCE - May 11
The first event will be the Antiviolence March/Rally
in Honor of Sakia Gunn on Wednesday, May 11, 2005. We
will gather at the corner of Broad and Market Streets
at 4:00 PM and begin to march down to Military Park,
next to the Trinity and St. Phillips Cathedral, at
4:30 PM. The rally will run from 5:00 PM to 7:00PM. At
7:30 PM we will have a service to honor those we lost
to hate crimes, where we will see the trailer for "The
Sakia Gunn Film Project," which will be followed by
wise words from, our own, Rev. Jacqueline Holland,
Founder of LITUFC. Also, the Newark Public School
District will be honoring the day as a day of "No Name
Calling." PLEASE COME AND JOIN US!

The next series of events are a part of The First
Annual Newark Pride Week. We will be celebrating from
May 28-June 4th. We will be participating in the
African American Heritage Day Festival on May 28th in
Wequaic Park, and on May 29th we will be marching in
the parade, down Broad Street. It starts at Noon.
Monday through Friday there will be a different event
each day, culminating with our Summer Extavaganza - An
Egyptian Experience (the Prom event and the tickets
are on sale now-please call 973-242-1412 for info. on
the tickets) on Saturday, June 4th. There will also be
official Pride Week After Parties that we are sure you
will enjoy. So, please mark the dates on your
calendars and get your tickets for the Summer
Extravaganza soon. If you or your organization would
like to advertise in our program book, please email me
for the information or call the number listed above to
get it from our secretary, June Burton-Dowell.

6. OLDIES DANCE - June 11
The Pride Center is sponsoring an Oldies Dance on
Saturday June 11 at the Knights of Columbus, 30
Crescent Avenue, Spottswood, NJ from 8 PM to midnight.
Featuring Sidewalk Seranade - 3 shows - continuous
music for four hours. Shake out your poodle skirt,
Polish your saddle shoes!  Prizes! Hoola-hoop contest,
limbo and more!  $45 per person.

7. GREAT ADVENTURE TICKETS
New Jersey Rainbow Alliance of the Deaf is selling
tickets.
Theme Park/ Safari (1 day pass)  $27.00 (real price
$50.83 - You save
$23.83)
Theme Park Season Pass - 80.00 (real price $90.09 -
You save $10.09)
Hurricane Harbor $26.00 (real price $29.99 - You save
$3.99)
deadline May 29, 2005
Children over age 3 -  price  same as adult
Children under age 3 and under are admitted free.
Parking: $10.00 per car
You can buy now and use anytime before November 2005
Go to  <http://www.njrad.org> www.njrad.org   and
click on Great Adventure on the left  for further
info.