[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 1/8/05

pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org
Sat Jan 8 13:32:36 EST 2005

The Pride Center of New Jersey
News & Updates - January 8, 2005

Note: The Pride Center could use a donation of a small
fire proof safe and a wireless router.  We also are
still looking for donations of chairs and bookcases
and a working DVD/VCR.

1. TSUNAMI VICTIMS
2. 8th Annual Eastern Womyn of Colour Conference
3. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE - Feb 5
4. PCNJ ANNUAL VALENTINE'S DAY GALA - Feb 12
5. MISCELLANY

1. TSUNAMI VICTIMS
Equal Ground, the Sri Lankan LGBTI organization, is
not only providing relief to Tsunami survivors, it's
also making sure LGBTIers are included among those who
receive food, clothing, medicine and other vital
needs.  Almost 2 million Sri Lankans are displaced and
will suffer enormously due to the lack of clean
drinking water, sanitation facilities and nutrition.
Sri Lanka’s death toll is now more than 25,000.
    Sri Lanka, perhaps hardest hit by the Tsunami,
will take years to recover.  Essential services such
as schools and hospitals have been wiped out.  Equal
Ground's aim is to assist an area and to do so for as
long as possible.
     Equal Ground has retained Diverse Communications,
www.diversecommunications.com, a 501c3 LGBTI-run
organization based in the Chicago area -- where
there's a large South Asian community -- to be the
single receiving point in the U.S. on behalf of the
Equal Ground Relief and Assistance Program.  I just
spoke with the director of Equal Ground in Sri Lanka
to confirm all this.
    Checks must be made out to "Diverse
Communications," must be marked "Sri Lanka Fund," and
can be mailed to:
    Diverse Communications, 1146 South Taylor Avenue,
Oak Park, Illinois 60304
    Please give whatever you can.  The trustees of
Equal Ground are maximizing the impact of donations by
guaranteeing they're spent on victims and not on
administration.  Sri Lanka is a resource-poor country
to begin with, so even $50 will go a long way.  But
please give what you can, whether more or less than
that.
    We in New Jersey's LGBTI community are among the
most fortunate people in the world.  We live in one of
America's most prosperous and progressive states -- in
fact, one of the most prosperous and progressive
places on earth.  Our region was also blessed to
receive countless donations from across the world when
the 9/11 disaster befell us.  Now it's time to
remember and time again to give back.
    As a member of the country's fast-growing, most
increasingly influential LGBTI community, you can make
a difference, a truly vital difference, by donating
even the smallest amount of money.  LGBTI brothers and
sisters and our allies, if together we save just one
life, together we save the world.
   Bless you for your generosity.
   All best, Steven Goldstein, Chair, Garden State
Equality (917) 449-8918

2. 8th Annual Eastern Womyn of Colour Conference
Due to popular demand, AALLU has extended the Advance
Conference Registration deadline until January 31,
2005.  There will be no more extensions offered.  You
don't want to miss this herstoric event, so send your
registration in now.  See you in March!
African Asian Latina Lesbians United
Proudly Presents….
8th Annual Eastern Womyn of Colour Conference
Unity Equals Power
Saturday & Sunday, March 5 - 6, 2005
Rutgers University, Newark NJ
This two-day conference will provide enlightening
workshops that will address our intellectual,
emotional, and spiritual being.  It will focus on the
uniqueness of our diversity as well as our individual
strengths. The days will include several empowering
workshops addressing these topics of interest and
concerns for womyn, as well as entertainment, arts and
so much more.  For the first time ever, this
conference is a collaboration of several eastern
regional organizations:

African Ancestral Lesbians United for Societal Change
(AALUSC)
Metropolitan Community Church of Christ the Liberator
Audre Lorde Project (ALP)
New Jersey Pride Center
African Americans Office for Gay Concerns    (AAOGC)

SABLE Magazine
Eve Productions Sistahs in Search of Truth, Alliance,
and Harmony
Jersey City Lesbians and Gay Org. (JCLGO)
South Jersey Lesbians of Colour (SJLOC)
Liberation in Truth Church Unity Fellowship Church
South Asian Lesbians and Gay Assoc. (SALGA)
                                     Workshop topics
will include sex and sexuality, spirituality, labor
issues, legal concerns, racism or sexism among women,
bi-cultural relationships, community violence, mental
and physical health & well being,
parenting/adoption/family issues, finance and real
estate.
Each registered participant will receive free valuable
give-a ways just for attending this event. Complete
hot gourmet breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Each registered participant will receive valuable give
always free of charge just for attending this historic
event.
Advance Tickets: $75.00 if purchased before 1/31/05
$95.00 after 1/31/05
NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE DOOR
For more information call 732 679 - 7687 or
e-mail at tyaalu at yahoo.com
Vendor space limited!  Contact Talethea at  856
874-1268 or e-mail BestImprss at aol.com
Volunteers Needed!! Contact Sheila at 973 375 - 5843
or email sbhunt4u at aol.com
Visit our website www.celebratesisterhood.org

3. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE - Feb 5
February 5, 2005    Stephanie Monticello "some people
get into music with the goal or expectation of
becoming famous, i just do it, to heal myself and
everyone else that may feel me."

4. PCNJ ANNUAL VALENTINE'S DAY GALA - Feb 12
Make plans to attend this wonderful annual event!