[PCNJ-news] PCNJ News & Updates - 10/18/07

PCNJ News pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org
Wed Oct 17 21:21:46 EDT 2007

PRIDE CENTER OF NEW JERSEY
1048 Livingston Avenue
North Brunswick, New Jersey

October 18, 2007

Visit www.pridecenter.org for much more information on
events, groups, volunteer opportunities and more!

Join today!
http://www.pridecenter.org/getinvolved/signup.shtml

1. OOTB - Oct 19
2. Study at Montclair University
3. BOWL-A-THON - Oct 20
4. HONOR 2007 - Oct 27
5. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE - Nov 3
6. Rest of the Week

1. OOTB - Oct 19
OUT OF THE BOX is happening THIS FRIDAY!!!!
Friday, October 19th
8:00 - 10:30 pm
at the Pride Center of New Jersey (Details below)
ALL ARE WELCOME: Jugglers, Ranters, Comics, Poets,
Singers, Musicians, Avocado Smashers
Listeners & Sharer's alike welcome!
it's a WIDE-OPEN MIC... So, come on down!
the details:
OUT OF THE BOX
open-mic at the Pride Center of New Jersey
listeners and sharers alike welcome.
$5 suggested donation/ $3 for students
free low-octane beverages and light gnosh served
info on how this open-mic works.... doors open around
7:45 pm. folks come on by and sign up on the list as
they arrive. we try to get everyone up on the mic who
signs up. priority is given to those who get there
earlier. count on having between 6 and 8 minutes,
depending on how many peopel are on the list. (Again,
if you show up earlier, you may end up with a bit more
time). at 8:00 pm we begin and folks who signed up
are called up to share. And an awesome time is had by
all! :-)
(p.s. If you have a piece that's longer than the time
limit for the night, let Stephen or Pandora know and
we'll do our best to accomodate you - if not this
month, then another one, if we can!)
if you have questions or have a lot to set-up, please
contact us:
pandora (host) at pandorascooter at aol.com
stephen (host) at outoftheboxinfo at optonline.net
for directions (only!) call 732-846-2232 (the pride
center)
Peace of All Kinds to All People,
Pandora & Stephen

2. Study at Montclair University
Hello All,
I am a professor in the Counseling, Human Development
and Educational Leadership Department of Montclair
State University in New Jersey. I am writing to ask
for your help in soliciting participants for a
research study we are conducting through the
University. This study has received IRB approval from
Montclair State University.
As a gay man and a researcher I am interested in
better understanding our diverse GLBT communities and
developing services that reflect our needs. Given the
current interest in gay marriage and civil unions we
decided to conduct a study on the counseling needs of
GLBT individuals with regard to relationships. We are
also seeking to compare the counseling needs of GLBT
and heterosexual individuals with regard to pre-union
or pre-marital counseling since there is very little
research on this topic. This study looks at attitudes
toward partnerships/marriage, relationships and
wellness issues.
We are seeking participation from:
1) Individuals who identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual
or transgendered, and may or may not currently be in
committed relationships.
2) Individuals who identify as heterosexual and may or
may not currently be in committed relationships.
I would greatly appreciate your participation in this
study. In addition, if you know of others who meet the
population criteria and would be willing to
participate, I would ask you to please forward this
message to them. To participate, please click on the
link below and follow the directions. The online
survey takes approximately 30 minutes. All
participants will be entered into a raffle drawing for
a free gift certificate from Amazon.com.
If interested, you may certainly contact me at the
address below and we will be happy to share our
results once we complete this study.
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=233793317410
Dr. Matthew Shurts (shurtsm at mail.montclair.edu) is the
Principal Investigator of this study. He or I would be
happy to answer any questions you may have about the
study. My contact information is given below. Thank
you for your participation.
Dr. Leslie Kooyman
Assistant Professor
Montclair State University
University Hall 3213
Montclair, NJ 07043
(973) 655-7182 (office)
(973) 655-7662 (fax)
kooymanl at mail.montclair.edu

Please join us at the Pride Center's monthly Women's
Coffee House, 7 PM to 10 PM. Sat 10/6/07
http://www.musicbynicole.net/ Nicole and Denise will
get you dancing! 732/846-2232 $5 donation gets you
coffee, food and fun!

3. BOWL-A-THON - Oct 20
The Pride Center of New Jersey presents a
Bowl – A - Thon
Saturday, October 20, 2007
4:30 to sign up – Bowling
starts at 5:00pm sharp
Brunswick Zone Carolier
790 US Highway Route 1
North Brunswick, New Jersey 08902
http://www.bowlbrunswick.com/center_info

Lunch before bowling from
2:00pm to 4:00pm at Gay-owned:
Fiddlehead’s Restaurant
27 Railroad Avenue
Jamesburg, NJ 08813
http://jamesburg.net/fiddleheads/

Cost

Ask your family, friends and co-workers to support you
in supporting the Pride Center of New Jersey, a 501c3
non-profit

Details

Minimum of $150 in donations gets you 2 games of
bowling, shoes, soda
and lunch at Fiddlehead’s restaurant (at 2:00pm, prior
to bowling that day).

Didn’t get the minimum? No matter what level of
donations you collect, you can join us for lunch and
pay just $15.00 per person or bowling for $15.00 per
person, or both for $30.00 per person.

Contact

Please contact Laura with any questions at
festivegal at aol.com

4. HONOR 2007 - Oct 27
The New Jersey Lesbian and Gay Coalition will host the
19th Annual Achievement Awards Banquet on Saturday,
October 27, 2007. The site will be the Radisson Hotel,
21 Kingsbridge Road, Piscataway, NJ.
Cocktails, Dinner, Silent Auction, Dancing and Cash
Bar.
More information: www.njlgc.org

5. WOMEN'S COFFEE HOUSE - Nov 3
The Women's Coffee House presents "Virago", Amy
Schindler and Maire Tashjian.
Original, high-energy musicians and composers.
Their sound is ROCK with and ethnic twist!
www.viragomusic.com
$5.00 Cover/Donation.
7 PM to 10 PM
Coffee, Refreshments,
Games, Conversation,
New Friends, Great Cause!

6. Rest of the Week
Oct 18 • 7:00 pm -9:00 pm : Unity Fellowship Church
Oct 18 • 7:30 pm -9:00 pm : Women's Social Support Grp
Oct 19 • 7:30 pm : O.W.L.S. - Older Wilder Lesbians
Oct 19 • 7:30 pm -10:30 pm : "Out of the Box"
Oct 20 • 4:30 pm -11:59 pm : PCNJ Bowl-a-Thon 4:30 PM
Oct 20 • 7:00 PM LYC-NJ (Long Yang Club)Potluck Dinner
Party in Bordentown, NJ. newjersey at longyangclub.org
Oct 21 • 10:30 am -11:30 am : MCC Sunday Service
Oct 21 • 7:30 pm -8:30 pm : Orthodykes
Oct 22 • 7:30 pm : Overeaters Anonymous
Oct 22 • 8:00 pm -9:00 pm : MCC Choir Practice
Oct 23 • 8:00 pm -10:00 pm : Lesbians & Gay Men of New
Brunswick
Oct 24 • 7:00 pm -9:00 pm : Unity Fellowship Book Club
Oct 24 • 7:30 pm : Men's Coming Out group
Oct 24 • 7:30 pm -9:30 pm : Under the Rainbow