PCNJ E-News February 24, 2011

PCNJ News pridecenter-news at pridecenter.org
Wed Feb 23 18:46:57 EST 2011

The PRIDE CENTER

OF NEW JERSEY

E-News

 February 24, 2011

Mailing: P.O.
Box 5130, New Brunswick,
NJ 08903

Location: 85 Raritan Avenue, Suite
100, Highland Park, NJ
08904-2430

(732)846-2232

 Visit http://www.pridecenter.org
for much more information on

events, groups, volunteer
opportunities and membership!

It Gets Better – At The Pride Center

Announcing the Creative Writing Page in the PCNJ Newsletter

Pride Center Call for Group LeadersEducational Forum: Spanish
Culture

This Week at The
Pride Center of NJ

It Gets Better – At The Pride Center

You may have
seen the It Gets Better videos on YouTube .  Now the Pride
Center of NJ will be filming an It Gets Better video featuring YOU!  We
are looking for volunteers to help us tell the world how it gets better.
Take a look at some of the other videos, and please think about the following
points before you arrive:

1)
What age did you realize you were LGBT?

2) Have you ever been a victim of bullying? Please elaborate.

3) What do you want to say to young people today who are struggling because
they are being bullied? Provide examples of how it got better.

When: Thursday, March 3 at 7:30 PM

Where: At the Pride Center of NJ

Announcing the Creative Writing Page in the PCNJ Newsletter

Wanted: your poetry or column to be included in this new section of the PCNJ
Newsletter.  Pease send materials for consideration to multicolorchimes at yahoo.com.

PRIDE CENTER CALL FOR
GROUP LEADERS

In our never ending quest
to grow The Pride Center Community and to enhance the lives of more NJ LGBT
residents we are calling for Volunteer Group leaders to start new special
interest groups at The Pride Center.  Unfortunately, as a volunteer
organization new groups often don’t get started unless someone steps up to
start it.  We will help you.  Your group will be publicized on our
E-News and listed on our web site and in the newsletter.  Your meetings
will be posted on our calendar on the web site.  Your group will have a
mailing address and a phone number with live volunteers answering phones
weekday evenings.  We’re open to starting any group you’re interested in
starting and here  are some samples of groups we could start:

Americorps – Be the
pioneers in this popular program designed by former President Clinton.
Make a difference in the communities around us.  Adopt a Highway or build
a park or be part of gay day at the animal shelter.

Dog People – Share your
dog issues with each other, swap resources for good doggie parks, visit nursing
homes, plan dog walks and doggie play dates.

Investment Group – learn
strategy of identifying worthwhile stock to invest in.  Meet others
interested in investing and forming an investment group.  Give yourself
the gift of savings and do it right with fellow investors.
Day/time/instructor

Decorating – join the
trend.  Learn from others while sharing your ideas and resources.
Together re-do the entrance lobby at The Pride Center!  .
Day/time/instructor

Habitat for Humanity –
Put your handy work skills to good use.  Help others from the Pride Center re-do  a home for a
needy family.    Day/time/instructor

Theater Appreciation –
Share the music, the story and the drama of a different play every week.
Work out a schedule of attending a few local professional and community theater
performances as well as a Broadway play.
Day/time/instructor

Drama Queens – In 12
weeks create a short quality performance to serve as entertainment for the Pride Center’s Holiday Party.
.  Day/time/instructor

Softball League

Gay &
Lesbian Reading Group

Discussion of LGBT experience through reading novels, plays, poetry, and
non-fiction. Newcomers welcome.

Gay Couples Discussion
Groups

Lesbian & Gay
Teachers Association

Indoor Gardening Society
of America

Learn the joys of houseplant horticulture

Gay outdoors club

Women About, The
Adventure Social Club for Lesbians

 Interested parties, please e mail to  njwarrior at aol.com

Educational Forum: Spanish
Culture

Session: View and discuss film - Little Ashes