[Slowhand] "More Jack Than God" - new Jack Bruce album

John Walasko jwalasko at telus.net
Mon Oct 6 13:30:08 EDT 2003

The title of the new album is a little play on the "Clapton Is God"
graffiti from the '60s. I found this tiny interview with Jack Bruce
regarding at undercover.com;

-- Quote --

In 2003, Bruce is continuing work on his trilogy of Afro-Caribbean
musical elements with the second album in the threesome 'More Jack Than
God' about to be released.

The 'More Jack Than God' title could be taken as a tongue in cheek
reference to his superstar buddy Eric Clapton who is nicknamed God by
many a guitar writer. "There's more of an organic feeling to this
record, and there's more unity to the music, especially lyrically,"
Bruce says. "With 'Shadows in the Air' (the first in the series) I was
trying to find the direction I was going to be taking, and this one is
more on the money."

The line-up of musicians is impressive. Living Color guitarist Vernon
Reid features as does renowned session muso Bernie Worrell. The album
also features guitarist Godfrey Townsend, percussionist Richie Flores,
drummer Robby Ameen, drummer "El Negro" Horacio Hernandez and
guitarist/pianist Malcolm Bruce (Jack's son). "These are very serious
musicians. It's like the feeling in an African band. There's an innate
knowledge of rhythm, but that takes a lot of study, training and
instinct," Bruce says.

For the third and last record in the series, Bruce hopes to record in
Cuba.
'More Jack Than God' is out through Sanctuary.
by Paul Cashmere

-- end quote --

I highly recommend Jack's last album "Shadows In The Air", which
features EC on two tracks. The album features some beautiful
compositions and tasteful playing. I was hoping that Jack and EC would
collaborate on some new music for that record, but EC ended up guesting
on two re-makes; "Sunshine Of Your Love" and "White Room". I found
"Sunshine" more successful than "White Room" - the Afrocuban drumming
fits better into the song and Clapton provides a fantastic solo and
vocal.

I read another interview with Bruce where he mentioned how emotional it
was to stand beside Eric and sing the song again after 33 years.

John
Vancouver BC