[Slowhand] Blues "essentials"

Craig Childs craigdchilds at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 18:45:27 EDT 2003

I've been a Clapton fan for a decade or so.  Now, I am trying to expand my music collection to other blues artists as well.  Since there are so many knowledgeable blues fans on this list, I wanted to throw this question out.

Excluding the groups EC has played with (Yardbirds, Cream, Mayall, etc), what are the "essential" blues albums one should purchase when starting a blues collection?

Here's what I have so far (again, excluding all the EC albums I own):

Willie Dixon: Poet of the Blues
Howlin' Wolf: London Sessions
Son House: Martin Scorsese Presents Son House (just bought this one!)
Robert Johnson: Complete Recordings
Ernie Bowser & TJ Bell:  When the Weather Breaks