[Slowhand] Jack Bruce in the hospital

John Walasko jwalasko at telus.net
Thu Oct 16 19:46:14 EDT 2003

Rock and blues musician Jack Bruce, from 1960s supergroup Cream, almost
died after having a liver transplant in September, his record company
has said.

Bruce, 60, who was diagnosed with liver cancer in the summer, is now
recovering after his body rejected the new liver and he contracted an
infection.
A statement from the Scottish star's family said he was on the mend.
Bruce is best-known as vocalist and bassist in Cream, formed in 1966
with Eric Clapton and Ginger Baker. His family's statement said: "After
being very critical for a period in which we almost lost him, Jack is
now making a successful recovery."

Cream were at the forefront of guitar music in the 1960s and sold more
than 35 million records, including classic tracks I Feel Free, Strange
Brew and Sunshine Of Your Love. They split up in 1968 amid rumours of
tensions within the line-up. They played a farewell concert at London's
Royal Albert Hall.

Bruce is still a highly respected singer, bassist, guitarist and
cellist who has continued to record and tour.
In 1993, he reunited with Clapton and Baker for three songs when the
band were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

-- end --