[Slowhand] Steve Winwood guitar

John Broholm Jbroh1 at netscape.net
Mon Oct 20 20:52:12 EDT 2003

Michael Sawin wrote:

>>>There was a discussion a while ago re the guitar playing of Stevie Winwood and I thought that I'd submit this little gem. A good friend of mine, who's a REAL Cream freak, also used to see EC in the Bluesbreakers era. He recounts the time when he saw them when they played the Manor House pub in North London with Spencer Davies Group as support. During the evening the two of them decided to have a guitar 'duel' and just traded licks for a full 15 minutes, with Stevie giving as good as he took. Eventually EC won the shootout and they retired gracefully to the bar. And the wager? A pint of beer.

Where's a taper when you really need one?<<<

Winwood was on the Austin City Limits I saw a couple of weeks ago.  Had a good, small band, with a very non-EC-like guitarist, himself mostly on keys. For Mr Fantasy, Winwood pulled out some version of a strat (didn't sound like lace sensors, but I couldn't tell the model) and played a gorgeous, rolling solo, just like he used to with Traffic in concert. The man can definitely play guitar. I'm sure he can play about anything with strings.

I don't know wether that was an old ACL appearance being repeated, or something new.

John Broholm
mailto:jbroh1 at netscape.net