[Slowhand] Japanese Tour

Kevin Wilson kevin.wilson at arivia.co.za
Wed Oct 22 10:18:48 EDT 2003

Interesting question. If "Just for You" is the name of the next album, then there will surely be a good slice of what is to be expected.

Now the title "Just for You" has a personal, comforting, lounge feeling about it. So it could otherwise be titled "An Eventful Evening with Eric Clapton" - meaning a solid sound with short precise solos. Perhaps he'll even include George Harrison's "Beware of Darkness" under such circumstances.

Then again, it could be a term of endearment/love for the wife that has brought two daughters into his life, so he could be selling the virtues of family values, which again would most probably be the same type of music as above.

As reported, the musicians are the same as on the 2001 tour, with the exception of Chris Stainton alone on keyboard this time round. Chris is a hands-on type of player. I don't see him playing mouth synthesisers or doing organ wizardry, al la Billy Preston. His keyboards complement and his piano tonks away into insignificant solos. I doubt that he has been honing his skills for the last 5 years. Again, reportedly, there are no backing singers like Katie and Tessa scheduled to support the band. So, this may really be Eric's real farewell to long-standing fans, going out with a blast. Considering this, I'd say that "Reptile" and "Over the Rainbow" are out and that hopefully it will be a rockin' blues tour. To me Clapton was at his best when he came off the "Nothing But the Blues Tour" and got back into the rock and ballads, as seen on the Hyde Park video from '96. His fingers were still on fire and he injected new life into recycled material.

Clapton knows just what we need (Just for You :-), which is why he has endured so long.

My personal wish list includes things now as obscure as "Roll It Over", but without doubt I will have to be content with hearing the 2003 version of "Layla", "Sunshine of Your Love" and "Wonderful Tonight". With Eric, nothing much changes like it stays the same.

Kevin