[Slowhand] Slowhanders 2003 Tribute CD

Shanahan mowdamowda at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 4 13:43:27 EST 2003

Hi Mike,

It's so easy to sit back and criticise.  I know, I do it regularly, and
sometimes, if I've had a good day, who knows, the criticism may even be
positive.

However to sit down and try and convey how a particular song or artist
touches you by baring your soul musically is quite a task.  And to share
that with fellow Digest members is an even bigger task.  I definitely
couldn't do it.  Apart from the musical ability of the individual, there are
so many other factors that can effect the end result of hours and hours of
work.  The choice of microphone, instrument, the arrangement, acoustic
versus electric, the mix, how you record it, how you transfer it to
computer, the countless retakes and overdubs etc. etc.

Mike, I'd like you to track down and give us your opinion on these
recordings by the artists below

1957 - Dancin' Wild - Tom And Jerry (aka Simon & Garfunkel)
1958 - That'll Be The Day - The Quarrymen (aka Beatles)
1961 - San Fancisco Bay Blues - Bob Dylan
1963 - Take It Easy Baby - Sonny Boy Williamson & The Yardbirds (in
particular, the guitar solo)
1963 - Auld Lang Syne - The Beach Boys
1966 - Bucket "T" - The Who
1967 - Ten Little Indians - The Yardbirds

How do these songs measure up with the songs on the new SD Clapton Tribute
CD?
Would have you given the artists above any encouragement?

And one other thing, how about you record your interpretation of a Clapton
song, acappela?  I'm sure Scott Wallenberg will put it on his site for us to
check out.  And no cheating and recording "Stepping Out" , "Got To Hurry" or
"Hideaway".

Thanks to Scott Wallenberg I have been able to download and listen to all
the songs from the Tribute CD.  I like them.  I'm not comparing them to
Eric's originals, I'm not dissecting every song and analysing them, I'm
taking them for what they are, great versions of songs from friends I
haven't met.

Thanks Scott, Rick H, Ric, Brian, Mark, Fabio, Jamie, Juan, Jack, David,
Peter, Mike, Rick F and Grant.

Cheers

Tone

Sydney, Oz

>Hi there,

>no comments about the new SD Clapton Tribute CD?

>I have listened to it and, to be honest: It is a disappointment!
>There were some moments at the SD tribute CD 2002, but the new compilation
has absolutely no highlights. After four or five >songs I had the feeling
that all songs sounds some kind of similar. Especially the voices are all
weak and if I listen to
>the guitar work I have to say that we shouldn't grumble about Eric's
playing these days. And what about all those
>drumcomputers!?
>Where are all those good recordings from the real bands?

>Sorry to ya'all, but I'm glad that I'm not on this compilation.

>Now it's your turn!

>Mike
---