[Slowhand] Hobby

Fabio Dwyer fabiodwyer at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 23:31:15 EST 2003

Mike,

you misunderstood me. I don't think making music as a hobby because,
actually, I managed to make my living as a musician and a music teacher for
the last ten years. But, even within my own professional carreer
orientation, there are certain things I do as a hobbie. Recording songs from
Clapton, although it's a big passion of mine, it doesn't feed me, I can't
pay my bills in the end of the months just playing covers of Clapton. The
time I deserved for this particular recording, the Digest Tribute, was some
spare time I had between tons of music classes, recordings and rehearsals.
Do you known how many takes I did to cut it? One. Everything (voice &
guitar) was at first trial. If it was not a hobbie, instead, a pro gig, I
would spend days recording it, until it got *perfect*. It was definitely not
the case, as I believe was not the case with the other contributors too. So
why analize it as it was a professional work? Yes, it is a hobbie, and
people has different amounts of time to dedicate to their hobbies, it
doesn't depends on "how many passion" you put on it. Be sure that I would
love to dedicate more time to do that. In fact, because of this rough &
criticized cut of While My Guitar, and some other Clapton oriented songs I
recorded as a hobbie, I just got a professional gig, it's for a concert next
December 10 in a big blues & rock club here in Brazil, to play a tribute to
Clapton. It began like a hobbie and reached a professional level. I'll try
to record this show if I get a MD, and I can send you a copy, just to
compare what I call a hobbie, and what I call a professional job in music.
There's a "grand-canyon" of difference. I'm not offering this because I'm
upset with your critic or something like that, just to bring everything to
the right perspective. I accept being criticized in a professional level for
a professional work.

About your Bowie preferences, I'd rather not comment that, I don't like the
guy, no matter what he does. Clapton, even being exausthed, with two broken
fingers AND laringithis will always entertain me more than Bowie at his
best, even with Stevie Ray on the guitars! hehehe Just my opinion, not
better nor worse than any other.

Cheers,
Fabio