[Slowhand] SACDs

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Nov 11 10:01:22 EST 2003

I see that some of EC's old albums will be released next year in Super Audio
Compact Disc (SACD) format. I'm curious why not, instead, on DVD-Audio
(DVD-A), although "461 Ocean Boulevard" is already available in DVD-A
format.

Just about all "home entertainment centers" sold today allow for playback of
a variety of mult-channel formats, including DVD-Audio. I understand that
SACD is a proprietary Sony/Phillips format. Yet, when I visit BestBuy and
other stores, they cannot show me an SACD player, even though they sell a
variety of Sony players (all playing DVD, DVD-A, CD, etc) and SACDs. My
understanding is also that SACD and DVD-A are about equal in quality.

I have never seen an SACD player.

Am I missing something?

                DeltaNick