[Slowhand] Great Performances Out of the Zone??

Kevin Wilson kevin.wilson at arivia.co.za
Tue Nov 18 02:28:13 EST 2003

We all know that at a particular time during any given concert Clapton goes off into his own dimension and brings us a personal solo wired to the soul. However, how many performance of great playing can you site where he simply plays well without (apparently) thinking about it, i.e. without going off into the zone.

I can think of one in particular: 30 June 1999, while David Sanborn is close to popping the blood vessels on his forehead (an not sounding too great for all the effort), Eric literally plays rings around him - of course later in the song he goes off into the zone for "his" solo, but that's besides the point. When I watched this recently I thought, "You bugger - you can do it if you want to without breaking a sweat." Perhaps it was his way of telling Sanborn whose show it was.

Someone once wrote to the Digest of seeing Eric in the 70's cut John McLaughlin off at the knees (musically of course) for taking too much of a stand.
Kevin

NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof, is subject to the standard arivia.kom email disclaimer which may be found at:  http://www.arivia.co.za/disclaimer.htm.  If you cannot access the disclaimer through the URL attached, and you wish to receive a copy thereof, please send an eMail to disclaimer at arivia.co.za or call (011) 233-0800. You will receive the disclaimer by return email or fax.