[Slowhand] Re: George vs. John

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 06:22:07 EST 2003

Ande,

I think you misunderstood.

George Harrison was talented, and I don't think his contributions were fully
appreciated, at the time, even by the rest of the Beatles. That being said,
his name carries SO much weight, that it's a sure bet these releases (CD and
DVD) will be reviewed in "Rolling Stone," the "NY Times," and other major
publications. And yes, the Beatles were probably the most influential
musical performers of the second half of the 20th century.

However, Mayall -- arguably the musician having the greatest influence on
Clapton (caveat: with whom Clapton played) -- has never received the
recognition he deserves. And the finest musicians have received training
under his musical leadership. These are all pros, not amateurs. I'll be
surprised if the same periodicals review the "70th Birthday Concert" as
"Concert For George."

We can argue whether "CFG" or "70th BC" are "bland" or not, but from what
I've heard of both releases (I've heard about 4 tracks from "CFG" and the
whole of "70th BC"), the latter sounds a bit more lively.

My CD collection includes dozens and dozens of Clapton recordings from ALL
phases of his career, from ALL decades (1963 - today). So much for your
appreciation comment. And yes, I think he's had both high points and low
points, as has Mayall, as had George Harrison and the rest of the Beatles,
and everyone else.

And here we go again with "white blues." Last time I checked, however,
Clapton was white, and the blues were his musical foundation.

                DeltaNick

>> Hello, After seeing Concert for George (the film) and hearing bits of
Mayall 70th birthday concert I must say, that on any level Concert for
George is the one to check out. John Mayall has made his mark on British
Blues and the career of Clapton, but George's importance on modern music has
been vast by comparison.  Mr. Mayall has stayed pretty much to his 60's
blues roots and that's his choice, but for me it sounds a bit bland, white
blues played in his style seems to be a bit dispirited and isn't that
soulful IMHO. I hope the DVD makes things sound more lively. On the other
hand, the Concert for George is just great and full of love and gratitude
for George. Don't believe what DeltaNick says, apart from Beano he seems to
have little respect for other parts of Clapton's great career;*) Ande <<