[Slowhand] Concert for george -- mini review

Apurva Parikh apuraja8 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 19 10:53:25 EST 2003

Ok, I take back 100% of what I said yesterday.. The Concert for george is
WORTH getting for the following reasons:

-My biggest complaint about being an Eric Clapton fan is that we rarely get
to see the human, more personal side of him. Save for Conor's passing, Eric
can be a very guarded person and very limited in his time. However, seeing
him speak, play, sing and interact with the other artists on this show,
gives us a more personal glimpse into Eric's personality. There are
priceless moments, like Eric's initial introduction, his singing of Beware
of Darkness, his interation with Paul McCartney and Ringo... At the end, an
exasperated Dhani, leaning on Eric's shoulder, while Eric offers a warm
embrace, none of this is music related, but more on an emotional level.

-The music itself is very good, usually these all star affairs are stale,
and cluttersome, but since our man was the musical director, you know the
rehearsals meant something and everything came off as genuine and inspired.
The mood, so to speak, the vibe were all there...

-The extras are so-so. No Eric interviews, very limited look at the
rehearsals of the band.. I thouhgt there would be more.. The second disc is
just the theatrical version of the cocnert. Kinda useless, but nice to
have..

So while I wait for the Mayall 70th bDay to arrive, the Concertt for George
will be in heavy rotation in my DVD player