[Slowhand] Michael Kamen DVD

Alberto Patron apatron at uol.com.ar
Thu Nov 20 13:54:24 EST 2003

It is very sad to know that Michael Kamen has passed away.
Time for my first post in the list! I´ve been subscribed to the list for a
couple of months and I must say that I like it a lot. The posts are usually
very interesting and "mood" is fantastic (on some other lists there are
always fights and things like that). I love Clapton ´s music but I don´t
have so much knowledge like some people out there so I usually cannot
contribute much.

If you wanted another reason for buying the concert for George you will
Michael Kamen in charge of the orchestra there. He collaborated with Eric on
the orchestrations of many of his songs and on the Concert for Electric
Guitar. Michael also worked with some other artists that I think are also
loved by people from the list like Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Roger Waters
and many others. In addition he was a great composer for films (one of my
other music passions) and worked with Eric for example in the Lethal Weapon
soundtracks and on the music for the miniseries Edge of Darkness (that you
can listen at the end of 24 nights for example). By the way, I own the
Concert for electric guitar that he wrote for Clapton but played by a
Japanese guy called Hotei. I don´t think it is commercially available by
Clapton but does anybody have a bootleg of it?
Finally, Kevin spoke about the DVD of Michael Kamen concerto. In fact it is
a concerto for saxophone written for David Sanborn (who also worked with
Clapton and Kamen on Lethal Weapon and plays on the Benefit for Crossroads
DVD). Clapton appeareance in this specific DVD is minimal. He just appears
on the Documentary section for just a couple of seconds. The percussion on
the concert is performed by another good friend of the list Mr Ray Cooper.
I know that is a little off topic but I will continue with some Kamen
recommendations (hope you forgive me).
I would not recommend this Concert for Saxophone DVD for strictly Clapton
fans. Its mostly symphonic with Sanborn driving the main melody.
If you want to hear some of Kamen´s work for the movies there is a fantastic
compilation called "The Michael Kamen soundtrack album" (or in some
countries Michael Kamen´s Opus"). Its fantastic and it includes a track with
Clapton for Edge of Darkness. If anybody wants some further comments or
recommendations about Kamen just contact me.
Regards Alberto