[Slowhand] EC nowadays

Dennis Merson mersondennis at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 5 07:40:06 EST 2003

Hi all,

I agree that EC doesn't seem to focus on the guitar playing today as he did
in the mid-nineties, and like he always should! And I share the view of EC
as somewhat lazy guitarwise, but certainly still able to play "on fire"
guitar. I won't totally agree with statements like "auto-pilot" and "he does
NOT want to be noticed as a guitar player any more", but I get the point.
Here's a couple of comments--

First of all I don't believe he does the go-around now (current tour and
Europe in the spring) just because of the money. It's something missing in
his life if he doesn't. Maybe he's out for getting inspiration regarding the
recording process? Can it be that he wants the fans to know he's still here?
Maybe that's too much a "fan with blind faith" attitude.

Deltanick wrote: "And his style of guitar playing hasn't really changed much
since the late '70s or early '80s (I guess it was good when he "grew" out of
his "60s style," but it's okay for him to be stuck today in the '70s or
'80s)". Can we expect a change in style now (or in the latter decades) as
the one we saw pre- post- heroin ediction? I believe not. Such a huge change
in his life and personality, so to speak, won't happen again. That's good
for him of course. As for the difference from the eighties until recently, I
believe there's change, and I'm not alone. But I admit I'm probably not
experienced enough to tell.

Nick also wrote: "Can you name a particular guitar solo, since the "From The
Cradle" period, that everyone knows and remembers, that's considered a
standard by guitarists? Probably not". Well, I think you expect way too much
if you compare inventiveness of the 60's with invetiveness of today. Our
Eric made classical 60's (70's) riffs that other guitarists eager to lear
(old and young). But unnessesary to explain, a bunch of things wasn't
"tried", and EC did it! The same level of inventiveness today as 35-40 years
ago is simply impossible as far as I'm concerned. Inspired guitar MORE OFTEN
is certainly something to expect, and I totallt agree on that! By the way,
youngsters don't want to lear from 58 year olds, no matter what an old
reptile does..

Clapton has taken a step away from the armani image, and why should we
bother? He still pull out a suit or two on certain occations, like the Queen
Jubilee, the "school-gig" for daughter Ruth, for the "Blowin' the blues
away" and for the Pavarotti and friends (yeuch). And he's continuing the
change of hairstyle, which is fine (keep it longer Eric:)

EC has since the return in the seventies tried to be a more "complete"
artist, regarding singing, songwriting and arrangements. Maybe we can look
at the past year as a further attempt of reaching new levels? Take the
Concert for George.. I doubt he would've taken the musical director role in
the eighties for instance. And maybe you can say the same about the acoustic
story-teller-school-gig..

I've already written far to much. Interesting reports from Japan. I'm
looking forward to Europe.
**
Dennis