[Slowhand] Eric's performances

Jon Maclean macca461 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 9 00:17:15 EST 2003

It’s interesting, all this discussion about EC’s perceived performing
ability over the years, but I can’t say I have thought of any of it so far
as “EC bashing”. Some healthy debate, constructively expressed, is surely a
good thing. One thing that has not really been mentioned is Eric’s age and
the effect it may be having on his playing. I read somewhere recently that
Eric experiences some hand stiffening after a performance and needs to soak
his fingers each night. He certainly has been quoted as saying that one of
his biggest fears as he gets older is arthritis. If in fact he is beginning
to feel signs of this, then it would be sensible for him to become more
economic in the way he performs. I recently read the Charles Shaar Murray
bio on the late John Lee Hooker, and that states that John Lee did
everything in his performances (and he was still playing shows into his
80’s) as economically as possible, to conserve his energy. Eric is not at
that stage yet, but there must be some adjustment which was not necessary,
say even 10 years ago when he started the all-blues years. It follows that
to play some of the more strenuous pieces and styles would tax him too much
over a 2-hour show, so his technique has had to evolve to allow for that.
None of this indicates laziness, just common sense on his part. If he were
genuinely lazy he wouldn’t bother touring at all, hell, he doesn’t need the
money, that’s for sure. Clearly he must still enjoy playing in front of a
crowd and I think that most of us are grateful he still wants to do that.
What he may have lost in some areas of his playing, he has gained in
experience and all-round ability as a performer, so there is just as much
for his fans to laud as there ever has been, but in different ways. Even a
mellowing Eric Clapton is more interesting than most other performers I’ve
ever heard of.

Cheers,
Jon