[Slowhand] Re: Sometimes Too Cool

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Fri Dec 26 11:30:53 EST 2003

Mel,

>> Your points are usually valid ones, but I think that you are "stretching"
a bit here ... <<

Can't say that we necessarily disagree very much. I like Eric's music today,
and am not looking for him to play old Mayall and Cream songs, blues only,
or 15-minute versions of anything. I'll disagree up front on a minor point:
he was usually inebriated during the '70s and early '80s, not so much while
performing during the '60s. In fact, EC didn't imbibe much at all during
Mayall performances: Mayall ejected drunk band members, and fired John McVie
several times for exactly this reason.

My beef is that EC is SUCH an extraordinary guitar talent -- far and away a
greater guitarist than singer, bandleader, and songwriter -- but "holds
back" and does not give his all in this department, both in the studio and
live. He hardly seems to plan for guitar in the studio, and doesn't normally
challenge himself much in a live setting ... not the way he used to do. I've
listened to so many of his recent (1998-2003) live recordings. I really like
most of the music, but he simply doesn't sound as if he puts much effort
into his guitar, yet the effort is there in the singing. He noodles, he
teases, and he sometimes gives us a great solo (he's always pretty good, but
can do this in his sleep: hence my term "auto-pilot"). However -- and here's
the clinker -- Clapton normally backs down as soon as he notices that it's
getting intense. As soon as it gets hot in the kitchen, he leaves; yet he
has the talent to cook better than anyone else.

Clapton is the guitarist who used to paint himself into a corner, so he
would have to find a way out without getting his feet wet. It was difficult,
but he'd always find a way. Sometimes he'd jump out the window instead ...
and FLY!

Clapton ROUTINELY challenged himself this way. These were the moments when
he became especially inventive, powerfully passionate ... and showed us
something that nobody else could. These were the moments for which for which
he became known, around the world. And just when you'd think it's over, he'd
go another mile and wipe you out (and no, I don't mean another chorus of
"Steppin' Out": perish the thought)! This doesn't happen much any more. In
fact, I'd say it hardly happens at all. He doesn't paint himself into that
corner, he doesn't challenge himself (perhaps he's too "comfortable,"
figuratively speaking, on his Persian carpet). I'm not talking about a
simply a good guitar solo; I mean instead moments that transcend reality ...
otherworldly!

One can interpret this variously: "modesty," "arrogance," "playing it safe,"
or something else. And I don't think his chops are quite where they used to
be, contributing somewhat. There are still great performances, but the
guitar seems to be at the bottom of his priorities list, if on the list at
all.

Clapton has many talents, but he downplays, in my opinion, his greatest
talent. And in this way, I feel that he deprives and cheats us of this.

                DeltaNick