[Slowhand] Little EC Content: Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac

ToeKneeF slowhandnj at comcast.net
Tue Dec 30 19:08:26 EST 2003

For the past week, I've been listenbing to a 6 CD Box Set which I
borrowed from my library. It is "Fleetwood Mac: The Complete Blue
Horizon Sessions 1967 - 1969"

WOW....what an eye opening experience. There are many previously
unissued "alternate takes" which allow you to see how a song progressed
through the recording process. They also let you see how some producers
can fuck up a really great song by adding "studio touches" (overdubs,
etc.). One song which comes to mind is "Need Your Love So Bad". I've
always been ambivalent about this song. To me, it always had potential,
but was kind of wimpy with all of the strings and orchestration. The
bare bones "alternate takes" let you see what a truly ballsy song this
could have been, if the producers had not screwed around with it.

This further re-enforced my belief that Eric, far too often, hands over
production control to others which might be OK in the hands of some
producers (Tom Dowd comes to mind)and deadly in the hands of other
producers (Simon Climie and Phil Collins come to mind).

If you get a chance, listen to the cuts on this set, you'll get Peter
Green live in the studio (warts and all) and the music will leave you
breathless..............I had to copy all 6 CDs, the alternate takes and
unissued material are priceless......................T

temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
Benjamin Franklin