[Slowhand] Re: Blackie

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Sat Jun 26 09:18:03 EDT 2004

>> Blackie is probably the most famous among EC's guitars. Should we go
figure it didn't deserve the highest bid just because Eric played it while
he was most inclined to drinking and expressed the music YOU like least? <<

Unfortunately, what you say is oh so true.

It's the music I like least because it's sub-standard Clapton. He is and was
always capable of producing superior music, but opted instead for the likes
of trivia such as "Lay Down Sally."

Blackie seems to have been the most famous of EC's guitars among the masses,
most of whom can't play a note on guitar. He had most of his hit records
with Blackie, Top 40 stuff such as "Wonderful Tonight," Lay Down Sally, and
"Cocaine," which were of little true musical consequence. He definitely
didn't do much worthwhile guitar playing with Blackie. His best and most
noteworthy guitar playing was done with other guitars, both before 1973 and
after 1990. Just think of "Beano," Cream, "Layla," "From The Cradle," the
current tour: all done WITHOUT Blackie.

The nicest tone that ever emanated from Blackie was "Wonderful Tonight,"
which isn't saying much.

The really good guitar playing was without Blackie. The worst music, in my
opinion, was with Blackie.

                DeltaNick