[Slowhand] More On Blackie

Kevin Wilson kevin.wilson at arivia.co.za
Mon Jun 28 03:33:25 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: DeltaNick [mailto:deltanick at comcast.net]
Sent: 27 June 2004 18:02
To: Slowhand Digest
Subject: [Slowhand] More On Blackie

>> Much of "EC Was Here" -- such as "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" -- was
not
Blackie, but a Gibson Explorer. There's a tonal difference of night and
day.

There is an opinion of this version that I've heard referred to as "as
real as a whore's smile", which I tend to agree with.

Great Blackie moments for me:
"Double Trouble" on Just One Night - don't know if it's a rip-off of
Gary Moore's "Bohemian Walkway", or if that one came later. Perhaps
that's why Eric tends to shun associating with Gary Moore.
"I Shot the Sheriff" on Live '85 - lousy recording of the concert in its
entirety (too much emphasis on the backing singers' percussion). Mind
you, "Cocaine" was great too. I remember the video playing in a shopping
mall at full volume. I doubt if there were any sales for those few
minutes. Another change from the old on that video is Eric doing high
speed runs at the end of "Same Old Blues". Unfortunately, the rest of
the video contains solos that are so "the same" that I'm certain that
they are interchangeable between tracks.

Finally, why were no George Terry guitars auctioned? George gave Eric
and Blackie a good run for their money in the 70's.

NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof, is subject to the standard arivia.kom email disclaimer which may be found at:  http://www.arivia.co.za/disclaimer.htm.  If you cannot access the disclaimer through the URL attached, and you wish to receive a copy thereof, please send an eMail to disclaimer at arivia.co.za or call (011) 233-0800. You will receive the disclaimer by return email or fax.