[Slowhand] Madison Square Garden (NYC): June 29 2004

Len Moskowitz lenmoskowitz at optonline.net
Wed Jun 30 09:36:23 EDT 2004

I've been a fan of Eric's since early Cream days.  I still am.  His life has
been a so very human, full of the stories that make us who we are.  And he's
turned out so well -- thankfully he's still with us.  I still connect with
his music, both on guitar and his increasingly beautiful tenor voice.

Last night's performance at MSG was a set piece.  I used to look forward to
creativity in the mode of Cream where they'd start with the structure of a
song's chord changes and then take off into only-God-know-where.  Each song
was a journey, each jam balancing on the high wire.  Now we see the same
show that they put on last night and the night before, and only the solos
allow a little space for a bit of innovation and creativity.  Perhaps one
day he'll do the jam thing again.  Not last night though.

When my wife asked me how the concert was, I answered that it was a lot like
a Broadway show.  The set list was scripted.  The band knew when to expect
applause, laughter, ovations.  Everyone knew when they'd do a solo and how
many bars they'd play in it.  Then a pre-set two-song encore, house lights
up and back to the hotel, only to do it again on Wednesday night.

At 59 Eric's getting old.  Last night his eyes showed age and tiredness.
But his little dance steps and shuffles were more animated than I've ever
seen him.  (Maybe it's the cute red Nikes?)  And he seemed to get to a deep
level of concentration at times.

As usual he was a man of few words.  In a rare exception, just as he sat
down for the Robert Johnson set, he offered that he had a bad habit of
holding his breath while he plays.  Perhaps he got a bit lightheaded during
the previous song.

I only noticed him playing three guitars: a Crash Strat, a black 000-sized
guitar with what looked like "EC & HF" set in inlay on the fretboard around
the 20th fret (who's "HF"?) and a "blackie" EC signature strat with what
looked like his normal signature on the headstock.  No vintage collectibles
on stage this night.  He had a Fender "woodie" amp (with the red grill cloth
and chrome strips, probably a re-issue -- it was much too clean to be
original) and two of the Tweed Twins.

Doyle's solos were real interesting, almost a deliberate contrast to Eric's
style.  I could listen to more of him, though I don't yet have a sense of
his musical personality, even after a few years of hearing him.  He played
what looked like a Les Paul Junior and a Strat.  He's still a leftie (grin).

Nathan East played his six-string Yamaha bass.  The room was boomy (as
usual) so it was real hard to hear what he was doing.  He's a consummate
sideman; no doubt that's what Eric wants these days.  I miss him having a
bass player for him to play off of and against, to spur him on.

After the show I worked my way around to Lee's station.  He came out into
the seating area and I congratulated him on the fine show, to which he
replied with a very present  look in the eye and a real and gracious "thank
you".  He walked over to a fellow on the main floor in a wheel chair,
chatted a bit and handed out a handful of Eric's picks.  He was kind enough
to hand me one too.  It says: "E.C.ON TOUR 2004" on one side and "ACROSS THE
U.S.A." on the other.

Thanks Eric!

Len Moskowitz
Teaneck NJ