[Slowhand] RE: Madison Square Garden (NYC): June 29 2004

Napoli, Deborah Deborah.Napoli at ceridian.com
Wed Jun 30 12:18:25 EDT 2004

Regarding Len's review of the MSG performance on June 29....

Thanks to Len for the post on the MSG performance.  I passed on tickets to
see EC this coming weekend - in a way I have regrets, in other ways I have
no regrets.  Len's post confirms my "no regrets" position!  I have also been
a fan since the early Cream days and I still am.  Yesterday I was listening
to some of his earlier performances and decided I like his performances over
the past several years much better than the earlier years, and I have seen
him in concert numerous times.  In my opinion - he is a much better
performer than an entertainer!

Debbie

Len wrote:

I've been a fan of Eric's since early Cream days.  I still am.  His life has
been a so very human, full of the stories that make us who we are.  And he's
turned out so well -- thankfully he's still with us.  I still connect with
his music, both on guitar and his increasingly beautiful tenor voice.

Last night's performance at MSG was a set piece.  I used to look forward to
creativity in the mode of Cream where they'd start with the structure of a
song's chord changes and then take off into only-God-know-where.  Each song
was a journey, each jam balancing on the high wire.  Now we see the same
show that they put on last night and the night before, and only the solos
allow a little space for a bit of innovation and creativity.  Perhaps one
day he'll do the jam thing again.  Not last night though.  <snip>