[Slowhand] Some EC - RJ News

Cobhome at aol.com Cobhome at aol.com
Sun Jul 4 19:04:46 EDT 2004

Clapton Rebuffed

Wednesday, June 30, 2004

By Roger Friedman

Clapton Rebuffed: Denied Blues Legend's Songs

Rocker Eric Clapton's album, "Me and Mr. Johnson," has been an unlikely hit,
selling nearly 500,000 copies. The album consists of 12 songs by blues legend
Robert Johnson. Johnson, who died at age 27 in 1938, left behind only 29 songs
that were verifiably his, so the Clapton album represented a large part of
his estate.

But now Clapton's attorney, Michael Eaton, confirms for me that the rocker
wanted to buy at least half the catalog of 29 Johnson songs right before the
album came out. John Massa, administrator for the catalogue, also confirmed that
queries were made on behalf of Clapton to buy into the catalog.

"A price was named," said Eaton, "but the administrators said they had s
omething bigger brewing and they were going after that." The price, Eaton recalled,
was "far less" than $10 million. "It was manageable," he said.

Buying the Johnson catalog would have been a smart move for Clapton, a
Johnson devotee who has recorded many of the 29 songs over the years prior to the
release of the new album. But Massa says, "We don't want a partner or an
investor."

Eaton said, "I assume they made whatever deal they had in mind."

The Johnson catalog is co-owned by Massa's West Hollywood based company,
Lessem, and Johnson's recently discovered 72-year-old long lost son, Claud Johnson
of Mississippi. For many years, the Johnson estate's heirs consisted of two
other non-blood relatives. But when a search was finally commenced by the
probate court to find Robert Johnson's blood relatives, Claud, a Mississippi
laborer who hauled gravel for a living, was able to provide proof that his mother
had had an affair with Robert Johnson a few years before the blues man died in
1938.

Clapton's next album, by the way, will be one of all his own material, and
should be ready for release early next year. I'll bet the folks at the new
Warner Music Group are crazy with anticipation. On a year-to-year basis, Clapton is
pretty much WMG's only consistent bestseller, whether it's original rock or
blues. He's the only recording artist in his age group who can lay claim to
that.

.