[Slowhand] Re: Clapton's amp setup

DeltaNick deltanick at comcast.net
Tue Jul 6 22:11:35 EDT 2004

>> I have a question for the guitar players out there. EC was hooked up to a
strange orange colored amp (it was not an Orange). It appeared to have a
wood cabinet and the grill was composed in part by a reflecting material.
Can anyone identify this equipment? He also had a vintage tweed amp, but
that's not the one I'm inquiring about. <<

>> A previous post identified the strange looking amp as a Frnder "Woody."
<<

>> It was a Fender Woodie, a re-issue of Fender's earliest amps, preceding
the Tweeds. <<

>> I looked into this closely and after examining some close ups of the
Fender Twin look-alike I found it to be a Cornell. <<

Hmmm, Mark Deavult posted several e-mails a while back all about Clapton's
new amp, a Cornell (with ToneTubby speakers). I was wondering when someone
would pick up on this, and finally, someone did.

In fact, one of Cornell's models is now called "The Eric." Take a look for
yourselves: http://www.dc-developments.com/products-home.htm

Apparently, it's this new amplifier which has been giving Clapton a decent,
lead guitar tone on the Japan 2003 and current tours, altogether different
from the less-than-desired tone of the past few years. Clapton hasn't played
with such a tone -- in my opinion (Gaetano: just for you) -- in years.

                DeltaNick