[Slowhand] DVDs Viewable

Mel Boss darmel at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 8 17:24:31 EDT 2004

Perhaps "someone" can provide an explanation of a DVD's "viewablibity."

I sent a movie DVD (one that I purchased in a retail store) to my cousin in Europe, and he was unable to view it. I have DVDs of the NBTB and the Legends programs that I recently received, and I would like to send a copy to my cousin, but I am now doubtful that he will be able to view it.

What is the deal? I know about PAL and NTSC standards as they apply to videotape. I've done a few searches and found references to PAL and NTSC as they ably to DVDs. Is there a way that I can send movies to my cousins that they are able to read? Can I order PAL format movies from Amazon? What about videos such as our NBTB and Legends - is there a way to convert these?

Thanks - email me privately or to the Digest if you think that this information is relevent to all.

Mel Boss
darmel at sbcglobal.net