[Slowhand] Future Chicago Blues Benefit Concert?

Sandra K. Anderson ska946 at northwestern.edu
Thu Jul 8 12:40:40 EDT 2004

Dale Kalina wrote in SD Issue 336:

"(Buddy) Guy tells Armour & Co. (Chicago Tribune) he has talked to ERIC
CLAPTON, B.B. KING and the members of ZZ TOP about putting together a
monster blues show at Soldier Field to raise money for a Chicago Blues
Museum for the South Loop. No specific dates have been discussed yet, but
Guy says he hopes other big-name acts, such as Mayer, will join the lineup
a la the "Farm Aid" benefit concerts. "With that kind of talent, we would
fill that stadium -- twice," Guy told us."

Hmmm.
Unless Buddy Guy is planning to establish his own blues museum, I am
wondering if his mission is to benefit the Blues Heaven Foundation located
in the old Chess Studios at 2120 South Michigan Avenue.   The Blues Heaven
Foundation was founded by Willie Dixon to provide musical education (the
"Blues in the Schools" program) and to assist artists with recovery of
royalties and legal education/ assistance (in the areas of copyrights,
publishing and music industry practices.)  The Chess building also houses a
collection of blues related memorabilia - photos, articles, costumes,
awards, etc.  (There is at least one EC donation - a "From the Cradle"
"gold" record, I recall).  Willie Dixon's daughter, Shirli Dixon Nelson,
had been the Executive Director until her sudden death last year.

Fellow Slowhander Lauren Blatt and I attended an open house at Chess in
early 2002 and had a chance to chat with Shirli Dixon (a very warm,
outgoing woman who was a blues singer in her own right).    She was a
devoted steward to her father's legacy...and to keeping the blues
alive.  Evidently, she was in touch with EC from time to time and was aware
that he had wrapped up a tour.   I asked her if EC had ever been invited to
perform at the annual Chicago Blues Festivals.  She said that he had, but
was reluctant to do so (in the vein of "Why would they want to see me when
they can see the originals.")    As you might guess, her death was a huge
loss to the Foundation.

Here is a link to an excellent "tour" of the Chess Studios:
http://www.bluesaccess.com/No_36/chess.html
"Strange Voodoo - Inside the Vaults of Chess Studios" by D. Thomas Moon
Blues Access Magazine, Winter 1999

Enjoy!
Sandy