[Slowhand] EC & Jeff Beck at Crossroads Festival

Richard Batty rtcb at comcast.net
Sun Jul 11 15:15:03 EDT 2004

I keep listening to their version of “Cause We’ve Ended As Lovers” over and
over.  I’ve always loved this song since buying “Blow by Blow” in the 70s.

We have often discussed on this list whether EC needs someone else to “push”
him.  I haven’t always thought he needed this, mainly because I personally
love the Derek & the Dominos live shows and the four-piece shows from the
early 1990s.  (Although I do believe in the latter case that, despite no
second guitarist, EC was pushed by the capabilities of Phillinganes and
East).

But for me, the way EC comes in with his solo in “Cause
” could well be due
to playing with someone as great as Jeff.  I think some of EC’s playing with
the great musicians of the Legends band also reflects this.  I wonder too if
playing music other than the old warhorses (Layla, Cocaine, WT etc.)
stimulates Eric.  I must admit to being rather tired of these standards,
which is my own fault for listening to EC too much!

It is great, however, to have these tremendous one-off performances.  I
would also throw in off the top of my head “Don’t Think Twice” from the
Dylan tribute, “Early in the Morning” from one of the Rock and Roll Hall of
Fame shows, the solo on Richie Sambora’s “Mr. Bluesman”, the “Communion”
soundtrack, “Same Old Blues” from the Montserrat benefit, “Little Wing” from
the Sheryl Crow Central Park show, “All Along the Watchtower” with Lenny
Kravitz, “All Your Love”, “Watch Yourself”, “Hideway” from the 1990-91 RAH
blues shows, the solos on Carole King’s “City Streets” and Zucchero’s
“Wonderful World”.

Thank you, Eric.

Richard